Memory and mobo for 8700k

Associate
The price seems to have dropped on the 8700k into more affordable ranges now, so im looking to upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram to match up better with my 1080ti and acer x34a.
Getting a nice little £650 bonus from work and ill add the rest to it myself to make up the difference to afford it all.
I was thinking the Asus Z370 Strix F for motherboard but open to suggestions.
Memory i was going to go for some Aura Sync compatible stuff but just want to save a bit of money now so just want some decent cheaper 16gb kit, 3200mhz is about the sweet spot for dd4 isnt it?

Associate
Hi

There were issues with Vdroop on the Z370 Strix, though this may have been remedied through Bios updates... Not sure... have a look.

I think 3200mhz CL14 is considered the sweet spot, yes. There are others here that can probably advise better though :)

Soldato
The price seems to have dropped on the 8700k into more affordable ranges now, so im looking to upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram to match up better with my 1080ti and acer x34a.
Getting a nice little £650 bonus from work and ill add the rest to it myself to make up the difference to afford it all.
I was thinking the Asus Z370 Strix F for motherboard but open to suggestions.
Memory i was going to go for some Aura Sync compatible stuff but just want to save a bit of money now so just want some decent cheaper 16gb kit, 3200mhz is about the sweet spot for dd4 isnt it?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £695.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

would have said Ultra for cheaper price but is being replaced with the better ultra 2.0 but not sold here yet .
8 pack ram is a beast- should overclock to 3800/4000hz with closer timings .
boards comes with wifi which is handy

Associate
I have always went Asus motherboards for as long as I can remember, I recently went Asrock with the z370 and had issues with both mobos, so I thought id try MSI for the first time & im pleasantly surprised, it has been rock solid also the voltages apply very close better than any other boards, they also have a memory overclocking tool for memory one click should take your 3200cl14 (samsung b die) to 4000 stable.

grab a half decent msi board id say

btw only get 8pack memory if its rated at 3200cl14 1.35v, if its 1.4v its already overclocked meaning you probably won't see anymore headroom without adding more volts

so id grab some 3200cl14 @ 1.35v memory if you can for the best outcome

if it was my money id grab a MSI Gaming M5 or Gaming Pro Carbon and some 3200cl14 @ 1.35v

:)

Last edited:
Associate
Total: £695.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

would have said Ultra for cheaper price but is being replaced with the better ultra 2.0 but not sold here yet .
8 pack ram is a beast- should overclock to 3800/4000hz with closer timings .
boards comes with wifi which is handy

This is my setup and I'm pleased with it so far. Only slightly overclocked the CPU to 4.5Ghz but nothing on the memory, just set to XMP and it runs sweet!
Lots of room for tinkering in the future that's for sure.

Soldato
This is my setup and I'm pleased with it so far. Only slightly overclocked the CPU to 4.5Ghz but nothing on the memory, just set to XMP and it runs sweet!
Lots of room for tinkering in the future that's for sure.

Nice, I got lucky with my 8700k. Hits 51.fgz with 1.345v on itx board with over half the VRMs you have haha .
Should hit 3600+ easily in the ram , with a bit loser timings when you feel like exploring

Don't forget to apply for FarCry5 before 30th

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What’s the temps like on a 8700k without a delid? Or did you guys delid? I was going to do it myself but the tools are really expensive
I’ve got a Corsair h100i GTX

Soldato
What’s the temps like on a 8700k without a delid? Or did you guys delid? I was going to do it myself but the tools are really expensive
I’ve got a Corsair h100i GTX

Eisbaer block/pump with a god aweful 360SE and silent wing 3 fans. Hits 88 for bench and rendering . 60c when gaming . Can have fans at 60c when rendering and 50% when gaming (high speed model)

Associate
I ran at 4.9Ghz a while back and temps were in the 80's in Prime Benchmark with no serious fan curve (Noctua NH-D14) can't remember the voltage but it was something like 1.3** but didn't try it in any games.

I'm happy with 4.5Ghz now with temps around 50° in gaming with no delid and I'll probably stick with this until there is a need for a higher O/C or I get bored lol.

Associate
I'm only running 1.275v through mine for 5Ghz, which I'm very pleased with. I was struggling for stability at much higher volts until I updated the mobo bios (Duh!) (Aorus Gaming 7). It's delidded with Thermal Grizzly liquid metal and peaked at 83c after 8 hours Prime95 (NZXT Kraken X62 AIO).

As far as delidding goes, you don't need a specific tool, only a craft knife or razor blade to sloooowwwwly cut through the glue at the edges. I consider myself generally cack-handed and fairly reckless but managed it fine. You just have to be careful, without distraction and unrushed.

If you want to explore how far you can push your chip, I'd say it's the way to go. If you only want to OC a little, then no need.

@orbitalwalsh I'm a little confused by overclocking RAM so I've only set it at 3333 CL14. As the frequency goes up so must the latency, right? So that's what I understood by 3200 CL14 being called the sweet-spot - between frequency and latency. Would I benefit from pushing the frequency? And if so, in which areas...? Just 3DMark benches and such?

Soldato
Running benches and games benches. Found with higher ram and not to crazy CL, creased lowest FPS count and average FPS also increased. Didn't do to much for top end which everyone seeks and raves for . Much much but if you game at 4k 60hz and need every 3-6 frames you can gain it's not to bad .
If your running 3200hz , with a good ram kit should be able to hit CL 10!

Workstations , ram and timings effect more then gaming, specially when a workload is said to take 3+ days .

not sure if your running team group or @8 Pack ram but might be able to give you more of a heads up of high speed Hz ram vs stock vs super slow CL at 3200hz

Last edited:
Associate
Running benches and games benches. Found with higher ram and not to crazy CL, creased lowest FPS count and average FPS also increased. Didn't do to much for top end which everyone seeks and raves for . Much much but if you game at 4k 60hz and need every 3-6 frames you can gain it's not to bad .
If your running 3200hz , with a good ram kit should be able to hit CL 10!

Workstations , ram and timings effect more then gaming, specially when a workload is said to take 3+ days .

not sure if your running team group or @8 Pack ram but might be able to give you more of a heads up of high speed Hz ram vs stock vs super slow CL at 3200hz

4K 60hz on the TV, yeah. I'm running the 8Pack RAM, same as you've recommended for the OP, 2 x 8GB for 16GB.

I'll take what advice you can give really, cheers. Higher minimum FPS and higher average FPS at 4K (or even 1440p on the monitor, 60hz only) in actual gaming would be the aim. I don't fully understand frequency vs latency for maximum benefit.

I don't mean to derail the OP's thread, though I suppose it is relevant should Salty22 decide to buy and OC their own 8Pack RAM. I hope you don't mind @Salty22

Associate
OP
No of course not mate, its all interesting to learn more about it.
Im tempted to give delidding a go myself, im decent at crafts etc.
What do you put under the heatspreader, just normal paste? or is this liquid metal stuff ive seen on youtube different? (and expensive?) lol

Associate
No of course not mate, its all interesting to learn more about it.
Im tempted to give delidding a go myself, im decent at crafts etc.
What do you put under the heatspreader, just normal paste? or is this liquid metal stuff ive seen on youtube different? (and expensive?) lol

Total: £14.68 (includes shipping: £2.74)

Liquid metal on the CPU die itself (Conductonaut considered the best).
Paste between CPU lid and cooler (Kryonaut also considered best I believe)

You wouldn't need more than a gram of each. Watch videos on Youtube for their application. These items are another thing you want to be careful with when delidding as you don't want to force too much out of the syringe and liquid metal in particular is a strange (yet interesting) material to work with.​

Back
Top Bottom