Memory issue

Soldato
my system has 4gb installed as that's all it can hold via 2 slots, but unless I done something while fiddling with cable tidy and connecting recently after putting back together, the system only reads it as 3gb Installed? Which is impossible as it's 2gb per slot(there's no available, just straight up 3gb), but when I go to bios it reads 0 :confused: even after loading optimised defaults, i saw it say 3gb yesterday during the day so I reseated then last night and today only time I turned on since.

Have I done something or am I missing a setting or whatever somewhere?

Soldato
Are you on 32 bit windows? If so that's basically normal, since the OS can only address 4gb total and some of that allocation will be your video card memory (which is suspiciously 1gb...)

Soldato
OP
nope, im on 64bit, my windows 7 is activated and updated, but even after install it was only showing 3.25 out of 4gb and was like that for over a week, but right now there is no number in brackets and the bios is reading ZERO, as far as i know the video buffer is on 128mb as there was a 128, 256, max option and default puts it back to 128, my 5770 is a 1gb model, im just failing to see where the memory has gone as i only have 2 ram slots so it obviously detects 2x2gb, but ive never had a bios read ZERO before.

is there software that might not already be built in to properly tell me whats happening?

Associate
Try using cpu - z
that give you a breakdown of memory modules you have installed how they are detected etc.

3.25 is EXACTLY the number that 32 bit windows would detect, as eddiew suggested thou ... Coincidence...?

Soldato
OP
if my photobucket was working for this site id show you im running 64bit, but in bios i only have 128mb set for the buffer, its not the first time ive had this low of a reading over the years, but i have always had it correct itself after some updates or whatever, but the fact my motherboard only supports 4gb and with 2x2gb was only eventually reading 3gb installed and 0 in bios as though 1gb didnt exists or no memory exists means there is a fault and not sure if its the ram stick, ive replaced the one with a 1gb stick so i do actually have 3gb which is all read and no 2.?? available and my 5770 seems to be working again.

i could buy an Asus IPIBL-LB with 4gb ram(4x1gb), e2160 + cooler for £20 or less and swap my quad and make up 5 or 6gb(board supports 8gb) instead of wasting money on more memory, but i want to try find out why ive suddenly lost 1gb from a 2x2gb setup.

Back
Top Bottom