Memory not showing in Windows 10

Associate
Hi

After some help please!

My old system is still being used at my parents home. its quite old now and has a ASUS P6TSE Motherboard. i originally had 6gb of ram (x3 2gb sticks) i then upgraded with another 4gb (x2 2gb sticks) now as far as i remember everything was fine but i have noticed that in system info and my bios its only showing 6gb, speccy shows 10gb.

Ive tried each stick individually and all of them work showing 2gb

Its not a massive issue as 6gb is more than enough for what they use but would be nice to get the full 10gb allocation, anyone got any ideas?

Im running Windows 10 Pro and have the latest motherboard Bios.

Just to be clear this isnt showing as 10gb installed and only 6gb alloacted, its showing 6gb installed.

Associate
OP
i cant remember which gfx card i have i think its a Radeon 4890

if i just install the original 3 sticks it shows 6gb and then dont increase with the newer sticks, if i install those 2 on their own it shows 4gb, i then put the other 3 in and it only shows 6gb again.

Soldato
Have you tried to get 8GB working (DIMM_A1 + DIMM_A2 + DIMM_B1 + DIMM_C1)?

If that doesn't work something weird is going on. If it does work then try the final DIMM in each remaining slot in turn and see what it does.

Associate
OP

If that doesn't work something weird is going on. If it does work then try the final DIMM in each remaining slot in turn and see what it does.

I think thats the only thing i havnt tried so will give this ago, i wont be back there until tomorrow so will report back them.

all the ram is the same spec but the newer 4gb is a different brand (same speed) shall i do original in A1 + B1 and new in C1 & A2?

Associate
OP

I did this and it showed all 8gb, inserted the final stick and it now shows 10gb again, not sure what happened as the config is now exctally the same as it originally was, thanks for the help everyone :)

HeX

HeX

Soldato
for how little i use it i dont think its really worth it, saying that for how much a 2gb stick will cost me it might be worth doing.

Don't know about you, but it'd annoy the hell out of me knowing that I had a slot free and performance going to waste for the sake of a few quid :D

Back
Top Bottom