Memory upgrade - please help me choose

Associate
Hey guys,

I have an older system which is running great, but as I get into running virtual machines, I find I am running out of memory.

MB: Gigabyte X99-SLI (has 6 ram slots)
Processor: Intel i7-5820K
RAM: Kingston Predator 4x4GB DDR4 2666MHz

QUESTION: Should I ditch the 4x4GB I have and go for a different configuration or use the extra slots with 'something' compatible?

Cheers,
Rob

Associate
OP
Only 6 slots that I can see, unless I am being dumb. (Edit: I am being dumb, online docs say it has 8)

If I add another 2x4GB, do they have to be identical? The 4GB modules don't seem to be all that common anymore.
Could I drop 2x8GB or 2x16GB along side my existing?
I'm not really looking for the cheapest solution, but rather the best ratio of size/£

Man of Honour
The rule is usually that you need to have matching sizes in each channel to retain dual channel mode across the entire capacity of the modules.

You have a quad channel board so each channel is paired, giving you 4 paired slots. If you followed the manual when installing, then you'll have 1x 4GB module in each channel, so you could add 4x 8GB modules giving each channel 12GB, or 48GB in total capacity.

If you install 2 (mismatched) modules then you'll have unequal channel sizes and I'm not sure what fallback modes a quad channel motherboard supports, it's possible you'll retain quad channel across the 4GB modules, but you might also lose it entirely. I think 6 modules would retain quad channel mode (according to the manual), but I assume they would also need to be equal sizes.

To ensure compatibility, I think what I would do is buy 4x identical 8GB modules, with each one pairing a 4GB module. If that doesn't work, is unstable, etc, then you could remove the 4GB modules and just use the 4x 8GB.

Associate
OP
That sounds sensible (4x8GB).

Any pointers on speed compatability with my existing 2666 MHz, (should I stick to something that is also running at 2666 MHz) or should I just configure them appropriately in the BIOS?

Man of Honour
If you can match the memory chips/manufacturer of the old predators without paying a premium, then I'd do that, even if they are faster modules. That's easier said than done though, because it's not usually disclosed in the datasheets. The cheapest 2666 modules are about £30 so it's not going to save you much either way and it's possible modules above 2666 will sell better, or be more useful if you upgrade.

Associate
OP
Yeah, matching is tricky at a sensible price point. I paid ~£70 around 5 years ago for them, but those I can find are easily twice that much.

So, if I just go for something like this, am I good? Is there a more sensible option than these?

The above assumes that I go for two sets of 2x8GB and see if they will co-exist with my current memory. If not, I just ditch the old stuff.

Man of Honour
They don't say what memory they use in the datasheet, so unfortunately I have no idea if they're the same stuff: https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX433C16PB3K2_16.pdf

Their configurator recommends a 2666 8GB module: KVR26N19S8/8, which would be around £130, versus £160 of the predators. I'd think you'll find it easier to sell or re-use 3333 Mhz though, because it's fast enough for all the latest systems (stock speed for Zen 3 and Intel 11th gen is 3200 Mhz).

Man of Honour
If you combined 2x16GB with 4x4GB I think you'd lose quad channel mode across at least some of the capacity (if not entirely) and if you removed the 4x4GB you'd just have dual channel mode. There's also a bigger risk if you buy 16GB sticks that you get the newer higher density modules that will be incompatible with your motherboard. The predators are not high density, since it states that they use 1GB chips in the data sheet. I checked the Vulcan's data sheet and they don't seem to say.

The Fury is technically a lesser model to the predators, so the predators memory chips may be better binned (lower latencies, higher frequencies) and the heatsinks have less surface area and should run a bit cooler (...not that it matters that much).

Associate
OP
So, if I understand correctly, the 2 x Predator (2x8GB) is probably my best bet. That way I retain quad channel even if I have to remove the existing 4x4GB.

Man of Honour
So, if I understand correctly, the 2 x Predator (2x8GB) is probably my best bet. That way I retain quad channel even if I have to remove the existing 4x4GB.
Yes, but technically you would retain quad channel mode with any 4x8GB (or 4x8GB+4x4GB).

Man of Honour
I still have the same concern with the Vulcan modules as before, they don't specify what density they are and your board doesn't seem to exist in their configurator, though I'd be surprised if they were 16Gbit in 8GB capacity (but such modules do exist and are easily purchased accidentally).

I had another look on Kingston's configurator and they only recommend 8Gbit modules for the X99-SLI and seem to exclude the Fury range entirely. Crucial have a much wider range of recommendations, including Ballistix modules, but some of these actually specify you might receive 1Rx16, so I assume they'd have to refund you, if you received one and it didn't work.

You could try asking Team Group or OCUK directly if they'll work with your board.

Associate
OP
I still have the same concern with the Vulcan modules as before, they don't specify what density they are and your board doesn't seem to exist in their configurator, though I'd be surprised if they were 16Gbit in 8GB capacity (but such modules do exist and are easily purchased accidentally).

I had another look on Kingston's configurator and they only recommend 8Gbit modules for the X99-SLI and seem to exclude the Fury range entirely. Crucial have a much wider range of recommendations, including Ballistix modules, but some of these actually specify you might receive 1Rx16, so I assume they'd have to refund you, if you received one and it didn't work.

You could try asking Team Group or OCUK directly if they'll work with your board.
Super. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom