Mens Black Suit/Work Trousers

Soldato
I'm in need of some new black trousers for work and also some to replace my suit trousers for a function I got to go next week.

What is the difference between Tailored fit and Regular fit?

I'm sure in the past I've only ever had Regular fit.

Soldato
I might tag onto this. Where's a good place to get good quality cotton work trousers? The last pair I bought from Marks and spencers were made of plastic and felt dreadful so were returned.

Soldato
I'd assume tailored fit is a little more shapely and tailered to your leg as opposed to regular which will be a bit baggier.

It's my go to fit. Tesco do some decent ones cheap depending on your budget :)

EDIT Obviously by "depending on your budget" i mean if you want cheap reasonable ones and not to spend a fair chunk of cash.

Soldato
Tailored Fit is an abhorrent misnomer, since to have a tailored fit requires being measured by a tailor and having the suit made to measure. In high street bad suit parlance what it actually means today is the legs are slightly tapered, jackets are nipped in at the natural waist and cut slightly shorter, it is a little less extreme than slim/skinny fit. Generally seen en masse in the colour blue with tan shoes cladding the unsvelte bodies of wideboy estate agents and faux "city" workers.

Regular fit is looser, straight legged (and slightly higher waisted) trousers and longer cut jackets. Looks a bit more "old fashioned" but is more forgiving when bought off the peg.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
With regards a black suit I'd say a charcoal grey or a navy suit are far better options. Black can look quite stark and formal for anything other than a funeral or a fashion shoot. It's also not that flattering on pale skin. Another point to make is that you'll find it very hard to match a new pair of black trousers with your old black jacket. There are many shades of black and the two are likely to look different from a medium distance.

There is no actual definition of tailored and regular. Most shops use the term differently but in general a tailored suit will be slimmer in the waist. A regular suit should be more roomy in the waist. Some places also refer to slim suits. These will be slimmer everywhere including arms, legs, waist, shoulders. But as there is no actual standard for slim, tailored, regular, etc, then every shop is different.

Either way, if you do get a whole new suit, I'd recommend getting it adjusted. Even a cheap suit can look good if adjusted and an expensive suit can look awful if it doesn't fit right.

Caporegime
Get some 'Slim Fit' trousers from Next.

They might sound like they are aimed at skinny people, but the waist-size is the waist-size. They just look better IMO.

Avoid the 'skinny' style - That's for the kidz.

Soldato
Can't think of anything worse than 'tailored fit' trousers. Unless your legs are like twigs, just get as regular fit as possible.

And M&S is my go to for suit/work trousers, never had any that felt plastic. Maybe just spend a bit more, and check the material on the label before you buy.

Caporegime
What is the difference between Tailored fit and Regular fit?

I'm sure in the past I've only ever had Regular fit.

mostly marketing *** **** and probably depends on the store, in lots of cases though it might mean ridiculously skinny which means if you don't skip leg day you're going to look utterly ridiculous or perhaps not even fit in them

on the other hand it could just be vanity sizing, like with shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt or TM Lewin, the 'regular' sized ones have too much material around the waist and seem to be designed for fat 40-60 yr olds with beer bellies

Soldato
Man don't get me started, I'm really not what you'd call slim, yet 'Extra Slim Fit' shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt fit me just right. What is that all about.

Regular should be called classic, slim should be called regular, extra slim should be called slim.

Caporegime
I have childbearing hips and massive thighs from loads of cycling so tailored fit trousers are a no go for me. Tailored shirts are ok but the darts make them a nightmare to iron.

In related news, grey suits are awesome. Three piece suits are doubly awesome.

Back
Top Bottom