Mesut Ozil

Soldato
Also surely the fact that Gundogan hasn't really taken much flak over this proves it's not a race thing? It's a character thing, people have always questioned Ozils character or lack of and it probably won't be the last time.
That sounds even more like "as long as Germany win , it doesn't matter - but as soon as they lose , its all Ozil's fault

Caporegime
Obviously I don't agree with the abuse but it's a contradiction that people will claim Ozil is every bit as German as every other German with Germany ancestry because he was born and grew up there, yet meeting with the Turkish PM clearly shows that he feels an affinity to a country he has absolutely no connection to apart from genealogy. Then there's the aspect that he was politically campaigning for Erdogan so he aligned himself with his politics which in all likelihood is opposed to that of Germany. I guess most Germans feel a sense of betrayal, if in some hypothetical scenario war broke out between Germany and Turkey you would have to wonder where his loyalties lay - sort of like WW2 when the US imprisoned Japanese immigrants as a precautionary measure.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't really fathom retiring from internationals when being regularly picked (unless you have some serious things to take care of in personal life like sick family, or serious injury concerns etc) but I guess he feels a bit vilified. Potentially a good thing for Arsenal if it keeps his focus on club football.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Lukaku said the same thing about playing for Belgium. When you win you are Belgian but when you lose you are suddenly a foreigner and not one of them. Quite amazed that these seemingly progressive countries take these views. It doesn't seem to be just random pockets of fans either, its the papers running these stories.

Back
Top Bottom