Metal Gear

Soldato
I've never played any of the Metal Gear games but I always here folk talk about them, is it worth getting a ps1 to play Metal Gear Solid ? Or can the ps2 play it ? then I can get the others for ps2?

Soldato
The PS2 can play almost all PS1 games. I must admit that the only MGS game that I have played through completely and completed myself was MGS3 which was awesome. But then again, every MGS is a masterpiece from what I hear. You can pick up the earlier MGS's off flebay for pretty cheap I think.

Man of Honour
Metal Gear Solid is great, 2 good, but not as good, 3, not got round to it.

There is the remake of Metal Gear Solid on the Gamecube, with vastly improved graphics, but I've no idea how well it plays compared to the original.

Soldato
DaveyD said:
Metal Gear Solid is great, 2 good, but not as good, 3, not got round to it.

There is the remake of Metal Gear Solid on the Gamecube, with vastly improved graphics, but I've no idea how well it plays compared to the original.

3 is the 2nd best with 2 the worst by far. I would maybe even rate the 2 ac!d's before MGS2 :eek:

The gamecube The Twin Snakes is quite good, i never finished it, but its a polished up version of MGS, but it also include MGS2 moves, like hanging on railings and stuff, some things you couldn't do on the PS version.

The PS2 will play MGS but remember either way u will need a PS memory card as u cant save your PS game saves onto PS2 cards, which is a pain :(

Soldato
Actually Metal Gear solid is one of the very few games that isn't completely compatible with the PS2. It hangs at the end credits so you can still play the game but you can't unlock the secrets. Although I have discovered that the end credits do work if you were playing from a save that already has a complete playthrough on it.

I'm tempted by the new version of MGS3 because it has the original two metal gear games (the old school MSX ones) included with it.

Caporegime
Chaos said:
I've never played any of the Metal Gear games but I always here folk talk about them, is it worth getting a ps1 to play Metal Gear Solid ? Or can the ps2 play it ? then I can get the others for ps2?

YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED METAL GEAR SOLID!?!?!?

Get a ps2 NOW and buy them.

Soldato
sormicoft said:
///dons flame suit/// i presume mgs is some sort of shoot em uppy game from what i've read???

Covert Tactical Espionage I believe is the best way to describe the MGS series. You can go all guns blazing but usually you won't get too far very quickly. It's not a FPS in a sense however when you go to fire your weapon it will be in the first person perspective but it's not like this whenever you're actually exploring the game.

Hope this gives you some sort of idea. Go check out some of the screenshots on www.Gamespot.com and it'll give you an idea of what to expect.

Whappers.

Soldato
wyrdo said:
I've never played any of them myself either! I'm glad it's not just me :p

God! Not another! Hang your head in shame! :D

Any other forum members wishing to fess up to their sins? :p

Try it man, I highly doubt you will regret it. The storyline in MGS 3 is just awesome with twists everywhere.

Whappers.

Soldato
Whappers said:
Covert Tactical Espionage I believe is the best way to describe the MGS series. You can go all guns blazing but usually you won't get too far very quickly. It's not a FPS in a sense however when you go to fire your weapon it will be in the first person perspective but it's not like this whenever you're actually exploring the game.

Hope this gives you some sort of idea. Go check out some of the screenshots on www.Gamespot.com and it'll give you an idea of what to expect.

Whappers.

It's also very story driven and cinematic. There are lots of very long cutscenes.

Soldato
Whappers said:
It's not a FPS in a sense however when you go to fire your weapon it will be in the first person perspective but it's not like this whenever you're actually exploring the game.

in MGS on the PS you cant do this, except with the PSG1. Think a third person kinda game

MGS is one of my all time favourite games. The quality of the story and the ammount of detail they go into in some of the long ass 'awesome' cut scenes is just amazing

and not forgetting Hideo's little snippets humour throughout the game :)

Associate
Metal Gear Solid is THE greatest gaming series to ever grace this universe. Hideo Kojima is a god, everything that man touches turns to gold. These games are like movies, not that you spend a lot of time watchin(well you do) but its a very well put together story, with good character development and the likes.

Everything about this game reeks of awesomeness. If there was ever a game that everyone should play its MGS.

4 is the main reason im cashing out for a ps3

Soldato
Final Fantasy XIII is the main reason I will be buying a PS3, but MGS4 is most certainly very close.

In fact both series are also twisting my arm to make me get a PSP, with both an MGS game (one that is actually part of the story rather than a spin-off like Ac!d) and an FF7 prequel.

Soldato
if youve never played mgs it might not seem so good now :(

it was the first game to introduce stealth and being sneaky iirc . noobs will probably be sayings "pfft this is a splinter cell rip off"

mgs2 is amazing but some people hat the amount of long cutscenes

mgs3 is good too but the first one will never be beaten. i remember spending what seemed like ages trying to figure out the cd case thing haha

Soldato
MGS on the PS1 was excellent.

Never played MGS2

MGS3 put me to sleep I got so bored with it.

A game it can be compared to it (if you are still not sure what it is) would be the splinter cell series.

Back
Top Bottom