Metal mix

Associate
Hi guys,

Just a quick one, at the moment I have a full copper loop, I've just found out that one of my blocks isn't functioning as it should.

Long story short there is a broken screw in the block, one of the 4 that secure the block onto the GPU main chip.

If I was to purchase with an EK block that is acetal and nickel would that ruin the balance that's in my loop already? Being full copper?

Associate
OP
Yea sure, here is the block in question

IMG_20170220_190641.jpg

As you can see, in the top left hand corner the screw that has failed on me.

Man of Honour
You could have a go at drilling it out but you would need a very small drill bit and a steady hand along with a small easyout to remove the remainder of the screw. It's most probably too finicky a job though. Is that a EK block? If so I do believe that those standoffs can be unscrewed and removed. I am pretty sure that the last EK gpu block I had (Thermosphere) had a couple of spares in the bag of bits. If you can get it off (probably take a pair of mole grips or similar) and you have a spare then problem solved. If you don't have a spare you could try contacting EK directly or EKLuc on here to see if they will send you a standoff and screw. If you have legacy MM access from before the post count was raised to 1k you could post a wanted add for a standoff. I am sure some people on here have spares and would send you one.

Soldato
A few ideas you can try.

2mm drill. Centrepunch, drill and use an easy out.

Gently tap it around using the centrepunch as I can't see it being THAT tight.

Glue something to it like an old screwdriver and try unscrew it that way.

Mark it with a drill, try unscrew it using a Phillips screwdriver that will grip the hole.

Then it's just a case of finding a new screw.

Back
Top Bottom