#MeToo - is it just different for men and women?

Soldato
Been going around a few weeks now since the Harvey Weinstein scandal and obviously many of the people using the hashtag are genuine victims and should be taken seriously.

With that said my issue is with, what I can only describe as bandwagon jumpers, some of the stories to me just sound like mundane **** not even worth talking about with spiced up with terms like groped, and sexual assault which can lead to ruining people’s lives in some cases needlessly.

Some of the stories I’ve read in simple English read “someone slapped my ass 15 years ago”

Now 15 or so years ago in school I had a girl pinch my behind whilst we were waiting in a queue, she wasn’t particularly attractive nor did I invite any such behaviour. It was a bit odd at most but kind of enjoyed it to be honest. In fact I’ve had a few bottom pinchers in my time (I have a nice ass :) I guess )

I’m guessing I could well fit into the #MeToo category if I wanted to and retell the story as “I was sexually assaulted by a class mate who groped me without consent bla bla” but I didn’t care then nor do I care now. I’m guessing many blokes have had similar stuff happen to them and 99% couldn’t care either. If A woman decided tomorrow at work to grab a feel I don’t think I would be particularly upset, I wouldn’t be using hashtags, I would probably be a little pleased with myself #StillGotIt

So question, simply put, is it just different for men and women? Should laws be applied differently?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The attitude between men and women in those kind of circumstances have different levels of acceptance (wrongly imo). See the difference between a thread about a male student and a female teacher relationship vs the other way around. It's still sexual assault/rape or whatever you want to label it as.

In your example the difference is you seem to welcome it and have no problem (correct me if I'm wrong there). The same way something like that can happen to a woman and if she finds the guy attractive or whatever it's just a bit of playful flirting, whereas if theres no attraction there it's creepy and predatory.

Like I said the girl wasn’t particularly attractive in this case and I didn’t make any kind of inviting gestures. Was simply in a queue for class, we were on hello, bye terms at most.

Soldato
OP
I saw a post from a guy. I think he's some sort of TV guy in America and he comes across as a bit of a hard nut.

Anyway he posted #MeToo and got dogs abuse for it. He later went on to post a story about how he was sexually abused multiple times whilst a young boy and how the trauma saw him going in and out of care and having run ins with the law.

This was a guy who had some really nasty stuff done to him, far worse than an unwanted hand contact or wolf whistle and he got pilloried for it.

In terms of the law. A man who suffers sexual assault has the same protections as a woman. You would be able to secure a conviction but I would expect that a lot more evidence would be required for the police to take it seriously and for CPS to bring it to court.

Probably should have said to a certain degree, but when you put it like that yes the law should be applied equally.

Soldato
OP
Personally him losing his job and the public shame is enough.

I wouldn’t press criminal charges with a good conscience, as I would be aware his intent wasn’t that of malice. Just a clumsy middle age man who got a bit too excited in the heat of the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom