Poll: Mexican Grand Prix 2021, Mexico City - Race 18

Rate the 2021 Mexican Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
1SZFgIv.png
Mexico City
When was the track built?
In 1959. The father of Mexico’s most famous racing brothers, Ricardo and Pedro Rodriguez, was an advisor to Mexican President Adolfo Lopez Mateo, and had a word in his boss’s ear about building a racing circuit in Mexico City’s Magdalena Mixiuhca sports park using the existing internal roads. El Presidente liked the idea, and work on the track was completed in under a year.

When was its first Grand Prix?
Formula 1 cars arrived in 1962 for a non-championship race, returning the following year for a proper, bona fide Grand Prix. That 1963 race was won by Jim Clark, while for the next few years, Mexico’s fiesta vibes meant it became the traditional season-ender for Formula 1. Mexico was welcomed back onto the F1 calendar in 2015.

What’s the circuit like?
High up! The Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez sits over 2km above sea level, making the 4.3km lap a breathless experience. The track still largely follows the outline of the original 1959 circuit, the main difference being that the spectacular – and spectacularly scary – Peralta corner is now bisected, with the circuit instead winding through the old Foro Sol baseball stadium, providing one F1’s most unique vistas.

TV Times
Sky:
B97gGzx.png

C4:
Sun - Quali Highlights 8.30am
Sun - Race Highlights 11.35pm

Track Diagram & Information

DGgLcCF.png

Weather Forecast
RuvIH6B.png

WDC Standings
Dg5HVvh.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
21IoZo9.png

Practice 1
OTsiS3T.png

Practice 2
We2vgbC.png

Practice 3
AOxgscy.png

Qualifying
HGYwhbS.png

Race
JxHM0pz.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers @Shimmy.

Can’t see anything other than a Max victory here. Had it not been for his penalty and subsequent puncture in 2019, he would have won three times in a row. Without some similar force majeure, I don’t think Hamilton and Mercedes can win.

Soldato
Kinda feel the same but at the same time ordinarily we would've expected Merc to win at COTA...

I'm not really sure why the RB has been so good here in previous years? Was it power or aero? Guessing the latter as it seemed to work with both the Renault and Honda engines.

Track map looks like the fancy Merc rear suspension should work better than at COTA?

If/When Max does win that'll be at least an 18 point lead, given there's only a few races left (and if RB is best at Mexico it's likely to be best at Brazil too) that's gonna be very hard to overcome for Hamilton

Associate
I'm not really sure why the RB has been so good here in previous years? Was it power or aero? Guessing the latter as it seemed to work with both the Renault and Honda engines.

Altitude do the air is thinner.
For whatever reason the Merc engine doesn’t like it so has to be turned down slightly.

They may have cured it by now but if anything it may well be exacerbated with their current issues

Soldato
Well... I'm not particularly fond of this track, but as has been the theme this year, tracks that I dont like end up producing better races, so half looking forward to this one.
Moving down south this weekend, so following it is going to be a bit difficult, but should be settled enough come Sunday to take a couple of hours to watch it.

Associate
I'll be fond of the track if Max has some problem to bring us back to level pegging but if he extends lead... well it wont be as interesting

Soldato
In Austin, Mercedes were ~1s lap quicker in practice, RBR smash it in quail and the race.

In México, RBR are 6 tenths quicker in practice, probably 1s quicker in quali…

Unless Merc are sandbagging, which I doubt.

Soldato
Just switched on. Whats going on with RBR? Did the red flag luckily give them more time to fix a critical issue with the car?

Back
Top Bottom