MG ZRs

Associate
Guys,

Just like Suarve I'm keen on the ZR's.
What else could I consider, with a budget of say £4.5k excluding insurance?

My shortlist included:
Focus LX/CL/Ghia 1.6
206 GLX 1.6
Clio Dynamique 1.6
Astra Sxi 1.6
Seat Leon 1.6S [Bit Pricey]

I'm 19 with 1 years no claims next month, hence 1.6 limit.

I know Fox is likely to say a Mondeo, and he'd be quite right too, its just purely the smaller the better due to my drive and garage, as much as I do like them :) [Plus there's no Mk3 1.6 is there?]

Man of Honour
rdfcpete said:
I'm 19 with 1 years no claims next month, hence 1.6 limit.

I know Fox is likely to say a Mondeo, and he'd be quite right too, its just purely the smaller the better due to my drive and garage, as much as I do like them :) [Plus there's no Mk3 1.6 is there?]

You dont have a 1.6 limit. Here is why:

a) Insurance is guaged by insurance group, and not by engine size
b) When I was 19 I had no NCB and insured a modified 2.0 16v Mondeo.

Get a Focus 2.0 Zetec - it's Group 8 insurance, so not expensive, it's reasonably quick (0-60 looks bad on paper as it needs 3rd for 60), it's reliable, it's well built, it handles well and it's a decent car.

Associate
Yeah your right Fox, I meant in the sense that all the quotes I've done [by phone] have been for 1.6 engined cars, and they've not been to bad. Less than £1400 generally.

I ran a quote for my dads 04' Focus 1.8 LX, and it was £1900 plus :(
Thats why I suspected that 1.6 is probably the biggest I could go realistically.
I'll see about the 2.0 Zetec :)

Thanks bud.

Soldato
If you're only looking at 1.6 hot hatches, they're commonly associated with boy racer types and will carry high insurance premiums. MGZRs also fall into this category. Larger "old man"/"family man" cars such as mondeos and larger rovers will probably be associated with fewer accidents. Insurance companies only have statistics to go by, this often means you can get a higher performance motor for the same or less insurance wise.

Permabanned
rover21419970ox.jpg

+

halfordshendon3vs.jpg

=

roezr1607ux.jpg

+

dodgeshadow0089ju.jpg

*n

Soldato
LMAO penski! :D Rover 200 + Halfords = MG ZR made me smile :D

HGF made me cry :(

I can't believe gaz1234 is still here. Ever thread he posts in, he just trolls. Can't someone ban him?

Soldato
OP
been looking at one or two zrs now and am noticing the same thing over and over again. The trim (esp the side skirts) is very poorly attached to the car and you can see a gap between the trim and car :(

Must say, i DO like how they look but initially the build quality leaves a lot to be desired :/

Soldato
I don't have any sideskirts on mine but I have heard that they're particularly bad

Keep looking and you'll find a good one without rattles!

I found that the seatbelt catch rattles against the door on mine - if you pull the seatbelt so the catch is resting on the seat then it's fine

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom