Miasma Chronicles - Fallout/Xcom mix

Caporegime

4.jpg

2.jpg

image.jpg

Very surprised by this one! A fallout/Xcom mix! Walk around some very high quality areas in real time, battling enemies in turn based.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm about 5 hours in and really enjoying it. I haven't played a lot of xcom games, but Divinity Original Sin 2 is one of my favourite games and the combat actually reminds me a lot of that I.e environment is very important. There is also a good stealth mechanic as well so you can thin enemies out before jumping into combat.

The story has been ok so far, but from what I've heard it ramps up quite a bit.

Loving the atmosphere and exploration as well. Yeah, so far so good for me with this.

Associate
I'm about 5 hours in and really enjoying it. I haven't played a lot of xcom games, but Divinity Original Sin 2 is one of my favourite games and the combat actually reminds me a lot of that I.e environment is very important. There is also a good stealth mechanic as well so you can thin enemies out before jumping into combat.

The story has been ok so far, but from what I've heard it ramps up quite a bit.

Loving the atmosphere and exploration as well. Yeah, so far so good for me with this.
Is it a hard game would you say?

Associate
I am playing on standard difficulty and light tactical (makes the shot percentages less random). It doesn't seem too hard so far. The stealth mechanic is important though. I really like it and use it a lot so thin down the enemy groups first as you are often outnumbered. There is one fight early on where you are ambushed and are heavily outnumbered and that took me quite a few goes. I had skill points to spend though, so I used them and beat the fight straight away after that.

My advice is to spend your skill points even if you are saving up for a high tier skill because you can refund them for free.

Like I said though I haven't played too many tactical games so if I can have a good time in standard you should be fine.

There are 2 difficulties higher than standard for those wanting a real challenge.

Associate
Yeah i havent really played any tactical games either, im more a fps type of gamer, but this looks interesting to me, the reviews on steam seem a bit mixed so i guess its a marmite game.

May give it a punt though as it does look quite good, i would prob play it on a easy type setting as dont like too much of a challenge these days, would rather enjoy and see the end

Associate
There is a lower skill level called Story mode or something like that. If you like the look of it I say it's definitely worth a punt. Especially as my understanding is it gets even better at chapter 2 and I am loving it even now.

Caporegime
OP
There is a lower skill level called Story mode or something like that. If you like the look of it I say it's definitely worth a punt. Especially as my understanding is it gets even better at chapter 2 and I am loving it even now.

Same as! What also drew me in for the quality was the soundtrack to the first intro!

Caporegime
OP
There's some real stupid mechanics in this game which are putting me off from keeping coming back! One of them being even if the player has a 50% chance to hit AND the enemy is right in front of you, you can still miss.. Many times I'm like WTF and this has caused my entire party to be wiped out. So it doesn't always factor in line of sight

Last edited:
Associate
Are you playing "Light Tactical"? It's based on cover so partial is 50%, full cover is 20% I think. So, that 50% means you are going to miss half the time no matter how easy the shot looks. It doesnt matter if you can see the enemy as before you took the shot you knew you had a 50% chance of hitting\missing. I noticed a streamer having issues with this. They were complaining that their player missed when the shot % was 20%. In game it looked like half the opponents body was visible, but that doesnt matter. It's all to do with the cover. You can see the cover types when you are moving your character. If you move into a place marked with full or partial shield the only way your opponent can get a guaranteed hit is if they flank you.

Last edited:
Associate
There's some real stupid mechanics in this game which are putting me off from keeping coming back! One of them being even if the player has a 50% chance to hit AND the enemy is right in front of you, you can still miss.. Many times I'm like WTF and this has caused my entire party to be wiped out. So it doesn't always factor in line of sight
Thats not generaly how these systems work.
Its a game and its turn based. Where you character is stood on the screen in relation to the enemies is just a depiction of a moment in time.
The 50% figure shown on the screen will factor in all the bonuses and other things that affect your aim, such as cover, distance and weapon particularity.
So 50% is your actual chance of hitting when taking into account all factors.
Whether your happy risking your entire team on a 1 in 2 chance, that is on you.

Caporegime
It's enjoyably janky

I am level 8-9ish at the moment and am helping the militia repel frogs.

There's a side quest I did and it gave me the option of two rewards, but did not give any indication what either reward did

It's also fairly difficult. Granted I'm playing it on the hard mode (can't remember what that is called) but I always seem to be running around after a battle with very little health and don't have a lot of health consumables.

Maybe I'm being tight with my spending but buying them in the town seems a waste.

Back
Top Bottom