Mice in Windows XP....

Associate
Didn't know where to put this so put it in here....

As most of you probably already know windows XP limits the response time of a USB mouse to 125mhz, despite the fact that some of the latest Mice are capable of handling 1000mhz.

I've used the program which updates the registry to fix this issue and now my windows XP is polling mice at a very nice rate. This was tested at my last LAN and some people's mice were polling at 500-800Mhz.

The big problem is my mouse polls at 62Mhz. This is obviously giving me horrendous mouse lag in games. 1000mhz/62mhz = 16.13ms Lag!!!!

My mouse is lagging more than my internet connection!!!

The resolution - I need a new USB mouse.

Can anyone recommend a good quality gaming mouse, with a decent polling rate, for under £40?

All help gratefully appreciated.

Soldato
Yet again the MX510 is a brilliant mouse (<£25 with the S&S steelpad), if you want lazer then the G5 or Copperhead.

What do you have right now?

If you have a look for other threads about mice then you will see me saying the mx510 a lot :p as will many other people.

Associate
OP
My current mouse is some crappy wireless thing that came with the wireless keyboard. My first ever USB mouse, and my first ever wireless mouse. I was having all these lag problems in BF2 and was blaming everything but the mouse until the limiter was pointed out to me, and then when i did the test and got that score i nearly cried!!

Associate
Logitech G5, although its a bit over your price range. online it retails for about £45

I upgraded from my old MX510, and its a huge improvement. The mx510 was nice, but the G5 is even better.

Associate
OP
Bubba said:
I would say your lag is more to do with it being wireless rather than the rate of it.

The polling rate of windows has a lot to do with it.

If windows is polling my mouse for it's current position every 1ms (as with some 1000mhz mice) it's going to be smoother and more accurate than when my mouse is being asked for it's position every 16ms.

Other people at the LAN who have decent wireless mice are getting polling rates of 500Mhz-800Mhz (2ms-1.25ms). So this isn't to do with the fact it is wireless, just to do with the fact it's crap!!!

Associate
OP
Sorry to bump - sent mail to those that asked for the software, but those of you on gmail, it has returned the .zip attachment as illegal attachment.

Paulspiteri and Socaddict, if you still want them can you pm me with another email addy, cheers.

Back
Top Bottom