Microphone Not Recognised.

Caporegime
Hi,

My microphone doesn't seem to be recognised. This has happened once or twice before, but a restart of my machine or unplugging and then connecting the mic has worked, until now.

Edit: I should add that I'm currently on Win 10 v.1803 (searching Google suggests that there could be audio issues related to that version).

So far, I'm thinking it could be one of the following:

a kaput mic USB lead;

motherboard needs a bios update/Windows 10 updates causing a confliction;

the mic is dead (however, the power light is showing it to be on);

Here is a screenshot of the device manager and settings window. As you can see, nothing is being flagged in device manager and no input is detected in settings. :confused:

keckz8.png

I guess it's looking like it must be dead? Any thoughts? Ta. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Could be a fault, but it could also be something to do with Windows. If it was me, I would connect it to another computer and see if it works. If you don't have another one, then surely you must have a friend or family member who has one you can try it with.

At least you can rule out whether it is the microphone itself, or Windows. If it's a good microphone, then it would a shame to just bin it with the assumption that it's borked.

Caporegime
OP
Could be a fault, but it could also be something to do with Windows. If it was me, I would connect it to another computer and see if it works. If you don't have another one, then surely you must have a friend or family member who has one you can try it with.

At least you can rule out whether it is the microphone itself, or Windows. If it's a good microphone, then it would a shame to just bin it with the assumption that it's borked.

I think it might be Windows 10. I'm going to do some more testing but I may need to revert back to 7 for the time being. Thanks. :)

Soldato
The amount of trouble I've seen people have with Windows 10 and audio, I wouldn't be surprised. :p

If you don't want to mess around with your main install, if you have a spare HDD, just connect that, disconnect your main drive and install Windows 7 on that.

Caporegime
OP
The amount of trouble I've seen people have with Windows 10 and audio, I wouldn't be surprised. :p

If you don't want to mess around with your main install, if you have a spare HDD, just connect that, disconnect your main drive and install Windows 7 on that.

Yeah, reading around the web last night/watching some YT vids does indicate that it could well be a recent Win 10 update, though of course, I can't rule out the possibility of it being dead just yet.

The funny thing is I only upgraded to Win 10 because of some Premiere Pro/Creative Cloud updates, only to find as is common when Adobe update PP, that it ran quite poorly, so I ended reverting back to the previous edition anyway. :rolleyes: :D

Edit: well, it looks like it is kaput, Win 7 isn't recognising it either. :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh well. :(

Time to see how willing your wallet will be when it comes to forking out for a new one; or maybe another present to add to the Christmas list. ;)

Back
Top Bottom