• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Microstutter - fact or fiction? Let's find out once and for all...

Soldato
Not looking to start a flame war here (Honestly!!):

Man, this is like your No.1 Topic on this forum Dr. F. Kinda bored of it already, can you keep it confined to one thread instead of splurging everywhere (threads/taking threads off-topic?)

Sincerly,
Matthew

Associate
OP
Well, some multi-GPu results at last :)

Thanks a lot for your contribution, Devious. Some interesting results. The crysis single card results are surprising - I've never seen such a high level of microstutter on my single card setup...

Anyway, it certainly seems that the level of MS is highly game dependent. When we have more results it would be interesting to see which modes each of the games is running in, to see if there is a correlation.

Associate
OP
Man, this is like your No.1 Topic on this forum Dr. F. Kinda bored of it already, can you keep it confined to one thread instead of splurging everywhere (threads/taking threads off-topic?)

Sincerly,
Matthew

Well moderator Scougar, I'm not exactly sure where I have taken threads off-topic, but I can certainly see why my producing a tool to answer questions debated in another thread (here) would offend you.

You know, there is a simple solution to this. You can just put me on ignore. That way my endless 'splurging' will not interfere with your own efforts to help people make an informed decision on what hardware to buy.

Sincerely,
Flobalobalobaleth

Soldato
I think what we need is a program which artificially delays the frame render time by slight variations, you steadily increase this frametime variation delta until it starts to become obvious to the user, at which time they click a button and it gives them a number.

People can then use those numbers determined with your program + FRAPS to compare with their own 'I noticed it at:' number to determine whether a certain card setup is right for them (i.e. single card crossfire, SLi, etc., etc.).

Associate
OP
I think what we need is a program which artificially delays the frame render time by slight variations, you steadily increase this frametime variation delta until it starts to become obvious to the user, at which time they click a button and it gives them a number.

People can then use those numbers determined with your program + FRAPS to compare with their own 'I noticed it at:' number to determine whether a certain card setup is right for them (i.e. single card crossfire, SLi, etc., etc.).

That would be a very nice utility. Unfortunately it's about 7.23 lightyears beyond my programming skills :(

Associate

Sincerly,
Matthew

Well "Matthew"

I actually find it quite interesting as do others!

Associate

Sincerly,
Matthew
That is a terribly ignorant and stupid view on this, this is a very important issue for a lot of people including myself, my purchase of my next graphics card will very much be affected by this so i would rather thank people helping me make a 300£ decision than dissing the OP because he raises a very valid point that people forget when too busy comparing scores.

Soldato
sampsa (guru) has declared microstuttering dead on the ATI 48x0 series, including x2.

he finds it in the GX2 and the 3870x2

i've already stated how different 4850 crossfire feels from my 3870 crossfire setup - you can feel it in gameplay and not just through spreadsheets.

Soldato
Knew I should have put on my 'luke warm water suit' (was expecting a more vicious response!) Dr. F, I never put people no ignore, that's just pathetic. If it gets that bad a mod will ban/suspend them. I am not a mod, but I am entitled to an opinion just like everyone else :p

I'm not 'dissing' the whole issue, and I am sure it exists, just it's starting to come up on every crossfire/sli thread nowadays, and it only started about 2 weeks ago. I was merely asking could it be kept to a dedicated thread, rather than splurge out on every other one. Sure if needed and helpful topic, make it a sticky... but keep it in one area so it doesn't detract from other threads :)

A tool for tracking it is obviously very useful btw, and I am NOT belittling you for that. I still fail to understand quite how a single card is less prone to 'stutter' than multi-gpu setups. The variance/delays are still there in rendering so why does it make single cards less prone?

I do apologise for putting "bored already", as that obviously put across the wrong message, and was mildly annoyed at the time. I was trying to imply it's all you "seem" to post about, which I suppose I should stop being so "ignorant" about ;)

Lastly, Talrinsys> I don't think it is an issue people "forget". It is an issue not really investigated. I think people are far more interested (in general) in finding out how compatible or how often crossfire/sli works in games and on what platform it works best. Once again, I'm not saying it shouldn't be looked at, just kept in one place. Don't you think that is sensible?

Matthew

Last edited:
Soldato
Rather than edit previous post:

Re-reading the thread, it is actually level headed. I was just peeved with the topic coming up everywhere. Sorry.

Will run the tool later on my single card setup. I suspect personally that is mainly down to CPU being maxxed out at times or a caching issue. Would be really good if we can get AMD and Intel chips test with multi gpu setups :)

Matthew

Associate
I dunno, but on my system, any game run smooth as silk, except Crysis, because any system that runs its AVERAGE frame rates at on the edge at 30,40 will be jaggady (because the nice low FPS is just around the corner to bite you), and just not smooth enough to enjoy. Single or Multi-GPU.

Multi-GPU may appear to stutter more, but thats just a product/symptom of low avg frame rates and running on the edge.

When you are running at high avg frame rates 80,100,... its obvious everything is on time and theres going to be no stutter.

Maybe the solution isn't SLI, but just single cards that have enough guts to run games >= Crysis. Hope they exist soon.

Any card generation that has to add SLI to achieve a bit more FPS at high resolutions points to the fact that the generation is out of date.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess it could be down to the monitor. Maybe a TV (even a good one like yours) isn't as precise in its update times, since it doesn't need to be?

I am pretty sure that the monitor syncs to the graphics card not vice versa. The 60Hz refreshrate is set by the graphics card. If you turn of, or even unplug the graphics card, during a fraps recording, it wont go blank, it will surely continue unaffected.

Soldato
I get microstuttering backgrounds in Devil May Cry 4 with my 8800GTX @ 650/1620/1080

The weird thing is the game works flawlessly, the only thing that microstutters is the backgrounds when you do a 360 degree turn around the body or your running straight or diagnal lol

Back
Top Bottom