Migrating OEM XP to new system

Associate
Hi

I bought an all in one medion system a few years ago with windows xp on it. As far as I know the license is tied to the motherboard. It's time for me to sell this system and was wondering what the chances were if me being apple to migrate the Xp license to another computer. I have heard some people have done this..

Any advice greatly appreciated

Pete

Soldato
I've done this many times, phoned the activation number up and they just ask me a few questions then gave me the new activation code.

Associate
OP
So they will let you re-use a OEM copy of XP on a new machine?

Did your copy of XP come preinstalled on a computer or was it an OEM copy purchased with hardware - I believe there is a difference between OEM and OEM shipped with a system / attached to the motherboard...

Thanks

Pete

Soldato
No difference just sometimes the first wouldn't even work if they did give you a number.

You will very soon be told you are not legal and unlicensed and should be stoned to death, oh yes and even worse you obviously haven't read the sticky shocking. ;)

Associate
OP
steve258 said:
Mine is the OEM version bought with a new rig.

I was sure I read somewhere that if it came preinstalled by a large system builder like medion the rules were different from just savy buying a copy with a hard drive. Must have dreamt it.

Soldato
Slam62 said:
You will very soon be told you are not legal and unlicensed and should be stoned to death, oh yes and even worse you obviously haven't read the sticky shocking. ;)
Despite the sarcasm Slam62 is correct in as much as even if MS reactivate the OEM copy you will in effect be unlicensed as the OEM edition is tied to a particular PC. If you just upgraded a PC by changing all parts you are correct that eventually the OEM edition license would be tied to the motherboard. In your case it seems like you will have a new PC so it sounds as if you do indeed need a new copy of Windows if you would prefer to remain licensed.

As for being stoned? Well I don't think that's likely to happen, havaing said that it's not really on for some here to advise on how to avoid having to buy a properly licensed copy of Windows from OCUK given they pay for the forums.

Associate
Athanor said:
Despite the sarcasm Slam62 is correct in as much as even if MS reactivate the OEM copy you will in effect be unlicensed as the OEM edition is tied to a particular PC. If you just upgraded a PC by changing all parts you are correct that eventually the OEM edition license would be tied to the motherboard. In your case it seems like you will have a new PC so it sounds as if you do indeed need a new copy of Windows if you would prefer to remain licensed.

As for being stoned? Well I don't think that's likely to happen, havaing said that it's not really on for some here to advise on how to avoid having to buy a properly licensed copy of Windows from OCUK given they pay for the forums.

Ath says it all really.

Soldato
I thought the grey area was only cleared up for Vista - you used to be able to buy an OEM copy of XP with pretty much anything - I always assumed that it would be tied to that thing (ie if you bought it with a mouse, then it dies with the mouse.) :confused:

Man of Honour
Slam62 said:
thank the lord for the righteous who correct your evil ways. :cool:

You're welcome.

XP has never been tied to the peripheral hardware that it used to have been bought with. However, MS did realise that it confused people and so stopped the peripheral hardware requirement in 2005.

The motherboard is the essence of the machine and so needs a new licence if it's replaced.

Burnsy

Soldato
burnsy2023 said:
XP has never been tied to the peripheral hardware that it used to have been bought with. However, MS did realise that it confused people and so stopped the peripheral hardware requirement in 2005.

So does that mean that prior to the change in 2005 it was tied to the OEM hardware? Don't quite follow the logic of buying OEM software with one piece of hardware and it becoming tied to a separate piece. I know this is different with Vista - but I wasn't aware that MS had changed the EULA for XP which was always notoriously unclear (didn't know you could alter a EULA retrospectively? - my XP pre-dates the change by a few years.)

In which case... where does this leave the OP?

Back
Top Bottom