Mileage turned back?

Soldato
Ok. My sister bought her car back in Febuary/March 2005. The car in question is a Ford Focus CL 1.4L 5DR hatchback with an 02 plate, which was bought from a Ford dealer in London.

At the time of purchase, my sister was told by the sales person that the milage was around the 3500 mark(cant remember the exact figure).

Just for the record, i was not present when my sister bought or struck a deal for the car so she was just buying the car herself so it didn't occur to her that she needed to run any background checks on it(HPI,logbook etc).

Today, while looking at her service logbook for the first time i noticed there is a full service history but the weird thing is that at the first service, there is around 7k~ miles done, at the second service there is 16k~ done and at the third service(done before my sister bought it) there is now 3k~ miles?!

It also says at this particular service there was major work done(a box, ticked) so how on earth did 16k become 3k?

Engine rebuild or something? Could it have been in some sort of major accident? Is it ok for a dealer to sell a car like this, especially being a FORD dealer, without telling us about it?

My sisters first reaction was to think about selling the car a.s.a.p after running a HPI check on it.

Can someone recommend me a company for HPI?

It seems rather weird ; at one service the mileage is 16k(according to the logbook) and at the next it has magically become 3k..

Would you guys sell?

Soldato
Short of them realising the odometer was recording at over 5 times the normal rate, and assuming that the mileage at those recorded services was indeed that mileage, then no, I can't imagine they can sell it without mentioning that fact.

Caporegime
Phone up ford and ask for the service reccord for the cars vin number / numberplate, they should be able to tell you, if its done over 16k and the clocks are showing 3k demand your money back in full with compensation or take them to a small claims court.

Soldato
if you've had the car for a year then theres prolly nothing you can do, even if the car had major work the milage would need to be recorded, sounds like a major screw up by them..

Back
Top Bottom