Milk bottle tops - Do the birds still peck into yours?

Caporegime
Never see to many small birds near our doorstep now, neighbours cat is always there, our milkman has also informed us that glass bottles are being phased out now in favour of plastic containers.

Associate
I think I shot all the nasty birds that used to do that at my house.
It was mainly pigeons and black birds.
Don't see them anymore - No more holes!
:D

Mat

Mat

Soldato
When I was really young we used to have our milk delivered in tall thin bottles, similar to this one.

I thought it was the weirdest thing ever when the dairy changed to the current dumpy ones, and yes, we used to get birds pecking at the tops in the winter to get to the layer of cream... we had silver top :)

Associate
Never got that far - some **** always used to nick our milk before we got to it - even when the milkman would hide it for us - so my parents started buying it from the supermarket instead.

Used to happen to us years ago until my Dad got up early and swapped the milk for some watered down paint. Later in the day we found a milk bottle up the street half empty with a load of what looked like milk on the floor, they must have took a good mouthful.

Soldato
Used to happen to us years ago until my Dad got up early and swapped the milk for some watered down paint. Later in the day we found a milk bottle up the street half empty with a load of what looked like milk on the floor, they must have took a good mouthful.

LOL, you should have done that 2 or 3 days at random. So they were basically playing the lottery between getting delicious milk or paint! :D

Soldato
Used to get milk delivered. But it went off long before the best before date. Conversely when I get it from a supermarket it usually is fine a day or two after the date. It seemed to me as if whoever supplied our milk didn't bother refrigerating it.

Soldato
We get our milk delivered in glass bottles with foil lids every other day, it's so much nicer than the super market stuff!
Our milk is left about 8ft from some bird feeders and we have never had any bottles with holes pecked into them.
*edit* i just went to make myself a milkshake and when i tipped the bottle upside down no milk came out because of the thick layer of cream :D

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I did not realise how rare it seems milk delivery is now!

I get 2 pints on Monday, Weds, and Friday. Nice little single pint bottles with foil tops. Never have any issues with it going off early.

Its always there on time, and tastes lovely and fresh :D

Soldato
Don't get delivered milk anymore, but I used to think it was cool when it happened,(apart from the whole hygene point of view) liked to think of the birds adapting to their environment :)

Back
Top Bottom