Minecraft cross-platform question

Associate
Hi all,

Is it possible to play in the same server with people using a range of devices?

My son has a Xbox One and his brother has a Switch, and their friends have it on iPad, is it possible for them all to join the same server? Do I need to get realms?

I've tried googling but cant seem to find an answer.

Thanks

Soldato
Absolutely it is. The switch will have to have the Nintendo online subscription though - even if you're playing it on a local network.

Not sure about the Xbox.

But in our hosue we've had one on Switch, one on PC, one on tablet, with no issues at all.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies @Witcher1980 and @bazzabear but nothing seems to work.

When I start a new world from the Switch and try to join on the Xbox one via the friends list and the option 'join game' it just times out all the time.

If i start a game from the Xbox One and then go to the Switch to try and join the friend, it says there are 'no joinable games'.

What am I missing here?

Soldato
Have you got the Switch subscribed to Nintendo's online service? Because you won't be able to without it. You need to set up and access a Microsoft account to be able to play multiplayer, and you can't get at that without the online sub.

For the Xbox, I don't know what the requirements are.

Soldato
It's possible, but a PITA to setup and is glitchy on top of that. I can't offer any specific advice (the wife got it all working for our kids to play with their mates during lockdown :) ), but I can tell you I saw both happy children and the missus yelling abuse at various screens. Make of that what you will!

Associate
OP
So we have managed to get it working, albeit only now and again to much frustration. Doesn't seem very reliable at all which was a shame as it was 1 of the 'selling points' of getting this so my youngest could play with his older brother more without having to get his own xbox of which I'm sure would be far more reliable.

Back
Top Bottom