Mini ITX Gaming System

Caporegime
OP
Greta thing about modern chips is that even if load temps are high they cool down so quickly but still, they can handle it so it's all good all things considered :)

Indeed, as soon as load drops off the temps drop dramatically as well as fan noise.

Nice, but what's the air flow like in there?

I have not got the patience for a build inside such a small case.

It's not the best, system temps are about 8C above ambient temp, it's aided by lots of ventilation at the rear however I wouldn't think about overclocking on air in this case. The Corsair H60 did fit but I did run out of patience with it and sold it on.

Whats total price tag for that build jansey?

About £850, if you can afford the extra space I'd go with a bitfenix prodigy - the build quality on the SG05 is below par however I can put up with it because of the limited space I have.

**edit** that amount includes a 2TB WD Red drive, don't think I mentioned it in the thread.

Last edited:
Associate
I've found HW monitor reliable for all my kit, so I don;t see any reason to doubt it.

Love the compact build. Those are VERY good temps, especially when you read about the horror stories of ivybridge and the thermal compound.

Please - how do the Asus m-itx boards overclock?

Caporegime
OP
I've found HW monitor reliable for all my kit, so I don;t see any reason to doubt it.

Love the compact build. Those are VERY good temps, especially when you read about the horror stories of ivybridge and the thermal compound.

Please - how do the Asus m-itx boards overclock?

I should update the OP really, I had to replace the Asus board because of cap squeal and I now have an ASRock Z77E-ITX board - the downside being I'm stuck the stock cooler until I work out a better solution using something like a antec kuhler 620. ATM it's looking like I'll have to remove the front panel mesh and place the fan on the front of the case like this:

Cz7Wp.jpg

Then mount the rad where the 120mm fan is, that way I can keep all my drive bays intact if I mount the rad longways. I'll also see if I can get an 92/80mm fan inside and have a push/pull setup so I can overclock.

The Thermalright AXP-100 will be available soon however I can't see any type of air cooler being effective - especially when fighting the PSU fan. I've tried mounting the PSU upside down and the cables end up in an awkward position and swapping the fan around will just mean I'm blowing hot air from the PSU onto the CPU cooler.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Got a load of these cheap:

A89xg.jpg

Took the material out and covered the openings in the case

BYTTs.jpg

Hopefully this will stop the dust from getting in, temps up by a degree or so but better than everything getting caked in dust.

Some more pics of the inside, plenty of room really!

cXoVSh.jpg

60CCMh.jpg

oMIwQh.jpg

pcNFhh.jpg

J0qUQh.jpg

Caporegime
OP
*Update*

Dust filters a waste of time, increased system temps so ripped them out.

SSD had failed so I used this as a chance to rebuild and change a couple of things.

Stock cooler replaced with a Thermalright AXP-100 - a perfect fit for this board and case. Performs much better than the stock cooler and does not foul the PCI-E slot.

9wRK8WU.jpg

qIEVPeV.jpg

Got the cable management a little bit better.

JTyaQ7E.jpg

Replaced the stock fan with a Xilence XPF120R Red Wing, removed the stock dust guard too.

q3gDR05.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nicely done, but it's a shame you went through so much trial and error with your cooler and setup - wish I'd seen this thread sooner I could've chimed in!

I've gone overkill cooling my G850 with a Corsair H60 in my SG05 purely for the fun of it, but I've got it in vertically giving space for a full-length GPU if I want to later. For the hard drives, however, I took inspiration from Miahallen's MAX11L from a couple of years ago.

I have a Corsair Force 3 and WD Scorpio Blue mounted into an Akasa aluminium 2x2.5" caddy which is then mounted underneath the PSU - flip it over so the exhaust fan is pointing up and you have a perfect free space to mount the Akasa caddy.

I'm actually reworking mine a little though as I want to use the PSU support bar in my case which has a little lip on it about 1mm thick; there's also a similar lip on the back side of the case too where you mount the PSU. Currently I've just glued the Akasa mount directly to the PSU, but the lip gets in the way, so I'm going to rustle up some spacers about 1.5mm thick and stick them between the PSU and the Akasa mount.

No More Nails temporary strips are my friend lol hold 2kg of weight no problem, and the loaded Akasa mount is no more than 350g.

So yeah, flip your PSU, use a pair of 2.5" drives and you have all the space for a AIO water unit up front. Just lose the optical drive shelf.

Making that work is another story ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom