Mini PC for office use

Associate
Hi All,

I'm looking for a recommendation for the best bang for the buck mini pc.
This has to be small as there is very little space around the desk space for it.
It won't be used professionally, its generally light office kind of work use, movies, web browsing etc.

I had previously bought a Beelink T4 mini pc that is equipped with X5-Z8500 Atom and I upgraded the windows drive to run off a USB3.0 caddy with SSD (had one sitting around). In raw benchmarks this proved to be better performing than the built in eMMC drive.
I got is fairly cheap (~£80) so I thought it would be ok, but it has been proving a real PITA and often black screens, crashes and is seriously struggling with say a Skype call and some web browsing in the background.
It played HD x264 videos well, no choppy playback, although it needed a sec or two to rewind.

It is used by my Mum and even though it was an upgrade from her last laptop, its still just not powerful enough.

I didn't come across likes of HP Elitedesk or Lenovo Tiny until now and I think this could resolve it, however it will obviously cost a bit more.
I've read people run media centers off them 24/7 so it should be able to cope with above use, even in the most basic specs.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Soldato
You want to use those Lenovo tiny. They are far superior than atom CPUs. Atoms are really only useful for one thing - browsing web pages.
They are quite cost effective. Around 250 you can get a well specced item

Man of Honour
I'd have a look on eBay for a Dell Optiplex Micro Form Factor; loads of them around and a lot of ex-business used ones; basically the Dell version of the Lenovo Tiny or HP Elitedesk.
I've deployed about 300 across our IT estate and they've been uber reliable; I don't recall a single hardware failure in 2 years.
I'm using one currently as my Unraid Server so its on 24/7 and its plenty powerful for general office tasks, media and web browsing.

Back
Top Bottom