Mini Review For Vive Cosmos

Soldato
So I got my Cosmos yesterday and spent quite a bit of time setting it up, Whereas my Rift S took maybe 5 minutes, The Cosmos took easily 5 times as long, Having to scan your environment and make sure it's extremely bright is just annoying, On top of that you have to have enough features in your play space for the cameras to scan so anyone with a plain playspace be prepared to start putting things on the walls, Something I didn't encounter with the Rift S' tracking system, If for some reason it loses focus for a split second then the progress bar returns to 0%, Very tedious.

Update 09/10/2019
A recent firmware update has really improved the sensors and low light functionality, Setup now takes maybe at most 2 minutes total, Click through a few steps, Look around your environment to scan, Even with just an energy saving bulb lighting the place up, And bam, It's done.

Once I had it setup I had to find the lens sweetspot which is fairly small but luckily they include hardware level IPD adjustment so it takes maybe 30 seconds, After that it is nigh on crystal clear, Best picture I have seen to date on any HMD, God rays and screen door are basically eliminated, FoV is the same as the Rift S and Vive Pro, But refresh rate is 90Hz compared to the Rift S' 80Hz, Visually it's a nice upgrade from the Rift S and not just because of the extra 1 million pixels you're getting, This has 2 x individual displays whereas the Rift S has a single display.

The controllers feel very well made and solid, When in use they light up bright white which is a bit of a drain on the batteries but it is used for tracking, 2 x AA's per controller, I'd say I got roughly 5 hours of continuous play over a 12 hour period, I'd recommend buying rechargeable Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA's 2500mAh which are about £12 on the rainforest for 4.

Comfort is great as the headset itself is cushioned with what I suspect is faux leather, A very soft type of foam around the face gasket and foam at the back of the halo style headband, Adjusting it is as simple as undoing the top Velcro strap and turning a dial at the back, Putting it on and then adjusting it to fit your head, Very sturdy once on and the build quality of the Cosmos is outstanding.

Having access to 1 years worth HTC's Infinity service which comes with all pre-orders of the Cosmos gives you access to hundreds of titles which usually on it's own costs around the £80 mark, Although not all titles are playable just yet, Something which HTC have said they will update in a future Vive Port update.

A quality of life difference with this headset compared to the others is the ability to flip the HMD up, Useful if you are doing other things or are talking to someone or even to vent your face, Although the mini built in fan greatly helps with ventilation and fogging up of the lenses.

Pros
  • Really high resolution picture of 1440x1700 per eye with 2 x individual displays makes it pretty much crystal clear.
  • The built in headphones are brilliant, Clear and can get quite loud without any distortion.
  • Setup thanks to new firmware is very quick.
  • Comfort is second to none in my experience due to the very good quality padding and overall light weight construction and in general top notch build quality.
  • Little to no GR or SDE.
  • 90Hz refresh rate over the Rift S, Actually makes a difference to my eyes.
  • Due to an internal mini fan, Fogging up of lenses is vastly reduced compared to prior Vive models.

Cons
  • The Lens sweetspot takes a bit of getting use to.
  • Tracking as of right now has gotten better due to firmware update but it still needs improving.
  • Certain games simply don't work with the Cosmos, Something HTC said they are working on.
  • The controllers don't last that long so rechargeable batteries are a must buy.

Again this was just a mini review, I was told by HTC that they are working quite hard on fixing tracking issues, Adding features etc... if you are happy waiting a few weeks or months then it's worth it but for now I'd say the Rift S is the much better buy if you want a plug'n'play experience until firmware updates arrive for the Cosmos.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not happy with the build quality of the Rift, The Cosmos is really very well put together, Feels very premium, Plus with the extra million pixels of the Cosmos it's a much cleaner looking picture.

Soldato
Reviewers and people who have tried both on Reddit have put picture as roughly the same, but, the Cosmos has an extremely small sweet spot.

It seems to have very good build quality and the audio solution is much better than the Rift S.

It has a 90z refresh rate over the 80hz on the Rift S.

But, it seems to have a lot of issues. Tracking seems to be very problematic.

The big problem is the price. It's been compared to the Rift S, but it's £300 more so that puts in the same price range as the Valve Index. The Index is a much better headset.

Soldato
I don’t get the comparisons to a rift s.

This thing is clearly priced against the index.
Be interesting to see an index owners opinion on this headset.

Soldato
I own both so compared the Cosmos to it.

Oh yeah, sorry I wasn’t critiquing your review.

Was the screen that much better than the rift s? It makes me want to get an index !

It was more just commenting that in broad terms, this is like comparing an oled tv to a mid range lcd.

Soldato
OP
Oh yeah, sorry I wasn’t critiquing your review.

Was the screen that much better than the rift s? It makes me want to get an index !

It was more just commenting that in broad terms, this is like comparing an oled tv to a mid range lcd.

To my eyes yes it makes a difference, 1 million pixels extra is quite a lot especially close to your eyeballs.

I was thinking of getting an Index but my rental agreement says no drilling holes in the walls so light houses/base stations are a no go, So inside out tracking is my only option :D

Soldato
I was thinking of getting an Index but my rental agreement says no drilling holes in the walls so light houses/base stations are a no go, So inside out tracking is my only option :D

There are several solutions which don't involve any drilling. I used these telescopic poles and clamps myself with the Vive base stations and they worked perfectly. Adds a bit of cost obviously, but plenty of people can't/won't drill holes in walls. I've seen other similar arrangements, with tall stands etc, but the best thing about the floor to ceiling poles is they don't take up much room and also can't be knocked over, very secure and rigid.

Back
Top Bottom