• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Minimum RAM speed for a Ryzen build?

Associate
Not really, definitely nothing worth paying today's ram prices, It'll be worth Googling for some Youtube and news articles on the topic, There's a few been done, then you can decide for yourself.

Here's one

EDIT: It's an old video so you'll need to find some up to date results with a wider selection of tests.

Tah, ill give that a watch later. With all the Ram compatibility issues from the ryzen launch, i ended up with the slower ram. im kinda kicking myself for not waiting.

Soldato
I've read a lot about RAM speed affecting Ryzen performance (certainly in games). Wondering what the accepted "minimum" is for people? I assume this is a case of diminishing returns as you go faster and faster and pay more and more. But where do you draw the line? Whats a good speed in terms or price-perf?

If you plan to get Ryzen 2 wait.... If it's IMC is as good as they say, get high speed ram 4000 and above.

Yes Ryzen is greatly affected by ram and on Ryzen 1, the difference between 2133 and 3600C15 was 30%+ more fps. My 1800X used to run happily with 3600C14 ram and its performance was very good. The ram was 3600C15 and CH4 auto set it to C14

ERU

ERU

Associate
I went for a minimum of DDR4-3200. This was taking into account current price vs performance. That said, it only ran at the rated speed a few weeks ago - due to a BIOS update for my MSI Tomahawk B350 mobo.

Soldato
Get 3200 cl14 ram. It'll be samsung b.die.
If you want to run it high, you'll need to loosen timings, if you want good timings, you'll not be able to push it so hard.

There's no better memory. 4000+ DDR4 is still the same samsung b.die with looser timings to let it run faster.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong ofc, pretty damn sure that's where it sits. Yes, there will be a little binning of the memory but 3200 cl14 is the highest bin).

Back
Top Bottom