Minimum wage + Tax

Associate
Hey

Is Tax apart of National Insurance or are they 2 separate things? I was on an apprenticeship before my wages went up to national minimum (UK) but currently I only have NI being taken off.. I went on to NM at the start of June and get paid weekly.

I was told after so many weeks tax will start to be taken off but it hasn't yet, is this correct?

Soldato
Your PAYE code will be something like 873L. This means (in basic terms) you will not pay any tax on the first £8730 you earn. It will worked out over the year and an appropriate amount will be stolen from you each week to fund bureaucracy and the unemployed. In return, you get a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Soldato
Your PAYE code will be something like 873L. This means (in basic terms) you will not pay any tax on the first £8730 you earn. It will worked out over the year and an appropriate amount will be stolen from you each week to fund bureaucracy and the unemployed. In return, you get a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

You're missing the pensioners, they're above the unemployed ;)

Soldato

He is already being stolen from, with the sneaky second income tax that is NI.

Wise Guy
Associate

if you break it down, 60 % would go to pensioners, 30% would go to people on low incomes ( ie tax credits etc..) 8% for sick people 6% on child benefits and only 6 % to the unemployed but half of that 6% goes to private companies to help the unemployed soreally only 3% goes towards the unemployed.

But you need to take into account how much goes on foreign aid, how much goes towards subsidising companies, how much goes towards Cameron and ids families via subsidies give for their land etc... how much is spent on wars that have no benefit to the averse workers.
so in reality if you take everything into account only 1 % or less of your income tax goes to the unemployed.

Soldato
Its about this time I should point out that I have no problem with tax being used for social security provided its a valid claim (been there, claimed it, couldn't wait to get out of it).

It occurs to me that being an (un)civil servant means you effectively pay some of your own wages.....

But to the OP, your tax will be worked out over a year and deducted accordingly, to my knowledge, you won't start paying after you hit a threshold, you'll pay it straight away. You may be on an emergency code (something like BR1) in which case you will pay more but it will be refunded to you (best pay slip ever is when the government give you money)

Associate
If the OP is under 21 then his wage will be £5.03 an hour, and he shouldn't pay any tax should he as the allowance is 10,000 now.

EDIT: and if the OP's wages only went up in June his total earnings for the year may not exceed his allowance.

However the OP should check out his tax code to make sure everything is fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom