Mis sold vehicle with 2 sets of void warranty

Associate
My husband in June last year (2023) purchased a 2021 Peugeot 2008. This was from a Peugeot Franchise and was classed as approved used.

They sold this car with a Peugeot 3 year warranty and an approved used 1 year warranty.

In all honesty, I’ve never favoured Peugeot nor Citroen and had ranted and raved about particular issues with the 1.2 Puretech engines.

My fears have become reality as of 8th May 2024. Where on the cars annual service it was noticed that the timing belt has warped and degraded. They assured us that this would be covered under warranty and they would call us back once the repairs were complete.

2 days later, we were notified that repairs had not commenced due to both warranties being voided as the car had missed a service in 2022!

We were not notified of a missing 2022 service and never thought to check as it was sold as approved used with warranty that stipulated that missed services would void the warranty. To me it’s a no brainer and thought that if no FSH was on the vehicle, it wouldn’t be sold with such warranty.

We are now in a lengthy battle with both Peugeot and the franchise on how this will be resolved but we are hitting multiple dead ends.

Is there anything we can utilise in this situation? I believe we can use the fact that the car had met approved used status and sold with 2 sets of warranties, would this be classed as misleading?

They have tried to contact the previous owner to see if they have any documentation but I’m not holding onto them to save the day.

Please help.

if they sold it with warrently then as far as i would be concered it has warrenty
its upto them to sort it out, how you achive that i dont know

did you pay anything on CC? they might be jointly resposible too (not sure if theres a time limit to claim)

If it was sold with these warranties then the garage has to honour these. It's their issue if they haven't done their due diligence. Sounds like grounds to reject to me. Any dealer finance on it as that could prove handy or any part of the payment made on a Credit Card?

if they sold it with warrently then as far as i would be concered it has warrenty
its upto them to sort it out, how you achive that i dont know

did you pay anything on CC? they might be jointly resposible too (not sure if theres a time limit to claim)
Nothing on CC itself but the car is on PCP finance with their lender of choice. I believe anything after 6 months we have to show evidence of being mis sold and I think that the provided warranties and approved used status could go against them on this.

If it was sold with these warranties then the garage has to honour these. It's their issue if they haven't done their due diligence. Sounds like grounds to reject to me. Any dealer finance on it as that could prove handy or any part of the payment made on a Credit Card?
It is on finance with their lender of choice.

They have to honour it if they sold it with a warranty. What a previous owner did is irrelevant. I think the law would agree.

Otherwise you're entitled to a refund as it's not as advertised.

Anyway, these are wet belt engines. They all seem to have problems.

Last edited:
They have to honour it if they sold it with a warranty. What a previous owner did is irrelevant. I think the law would agree.
agree with this, retrospectively changing the contract cannot be done unilaterally, if you've fulfilled your side by getting it serviced when required then this is 100% on the seller.

agree with this, retrospectively changing the contract cannot be done unilaterally, if you've fulfilled your side by getting it serviced when required then this is 100% on the seller.
Thankyou, we have definitely stuck to the contract. I work in the automotive field myself so I know how any deviation from an agreement can backfire.

they're not saying (going to say) that you hadn't had a belt inspection during your ownership ? are/were such inspections done based on mileage, or incorporated into services,
(ie. did you tick over that threshold during your ownership)
otherwise case should be concrete for payment on the 1 year garage warranty.

(previous threads had discussed nature of the mftr recall & inspection)

they're not saying (going to say) that you hadn't had a belt inspection during your ownership ? are/were such inspections done based on mileage, or incorporated into services,
(ie. did you tick over that threshold during your ownership)
otherwise case should be concrete for payment on the 1 year garage warranty.

(previous threads had discussed nature of the mftr recall & inspection)
The vehicle was serviced before we traded our previous vehicle in. This was done by themselves and should’ve been noticed if so.

We have strictly followed service intervals as service was not due until June this year.

The car is less than 3 years old approaching 3 years and has 30k on the clock.

Last edited:
Contact finance company.
Tell them to deal with it.
Tell dealer it was sold by them with warranty. Thus it has warranty.
or they can refund you and keep the car.

Contact finance company.
Tell them to deal with it.
Tell dealer it was sold by them with warranty. Thus it has warranty.
or they can refund you and keep the car.
Thank you, will give it a go.
Did consider the finance company route but thought they’d wash their hands of it as only the finance aspect of it would impact them? But will try to see if they can assist.

Thank you, will give it a go.
Did consider the finance company route but thought they’d wash their hands of it as only the finance aspect of it would impact them? But will try to see if they can assist.
The finance company basically own it. So they should have an investment interest in the car.

Back
Top Bottom