Missus obsessed with hospital drama

Associate
Ok is it just me or is anyone else's missus completely obsessed with hospital drama?

If it's not casualty, it's holby city or something on the living channel where it follows the last few months of someones fight against illness or anything that is absolutely morbid.

And what's more peculiar, she can't stand going to hospitals herself.

I know illness and hospitals are a fact of life, but I can't sit there and class someone croaking as a form of entertainment.

pie

Associate
when you work and train as a student nurse it's sometimes quite interesting to watch from a factual point of view - to see just how wrong they do some procedures.

the acting is utter crap though.

generally i dont watch unless it's about something specific. just like im sure most firemen never watched london's burning and coppers don't watch the bill!

Associate
OP
it's the same every week though. someone is a little ill and is just going in for a check up and then someone gets seriously injured in a car crash.

but it's always the one whose just a little ill that carks it at the end.

Associate
just dont go to holby and you'll be ok. it's the car crash, train crash, building collapse, infectious disease centre of the world

next week in holby city: bird flu strikes down charlie's budgie.

he's admitted for tweatment.......

Soldato
I worked out the other day the only things I regularly watch on tv are Casualty, Holby City, No Angels and House.

I did watch Final Destination 1 and 2 last weekend but not many of the people in there actually made it to the hospital.

Man of Honour
Mine is, but she's a Nurse so I'll let her off. Even gets someone to tape casualty for her when she can't watch it.

To be honest I used to actually quite like Casualty, back in the days when it was a proper drama and not a soap. There's too much focus on the lives of the staff these days.

I rememeber the good old days when the BBC had to delay the transmission of one episode at the last minute until after the watershed, because it was deemed too violent. Some old geezer had got beaten up on this estate by a bunch of townies (the world chav didn't exist then), so the neighbourhood watch got together and made this vigalante gang which went around battering yobs and young folk in general. The hospital was overrun and then there were people ram-raiding the back of it and chucking petrol bombs in, so the hospital caught fire and had to be evacuated (killing a couple of the staff, was a season finale iirc).

Terrific stuff.

Soldato
HangTime said:
Mine is, but she's a Nurse so I'll let her off. Even gets someone to tape casualty for her when she can't watch it.

To be honest I used to actually quite like Casualty, back in the days when it was a proper drama and not a soap. There's too much focus on the lives of the staff these days.

I rememeber the good old days when the BBC had to delay the transmission of one episode at the last minute until after the watershed, because it was deemed too violent. Some old geezer had got beaten up on this estate by a bunch of townies (the world chav didn't exist then), so the neighbourhood watch got together and made this vigalante gang which went around battering yobs and young folk in general. The hospital was overrun and then there were people ram-raiding the back of it and chucking petrol bombs in, so the hospital caught fire and had to be evacuated (killing a couple of the staff, was a season finale iirc).

Terrific stuff.

They always did that, blow it up. Never quite see the point in that myself. Must admit though that casualty has gone down hill a bit recently, why do they need to show it 52 weeks of the year is beyond me.

Bring back Londons Burnning thats what I say :)

Man of Honour
A quick google indicates that the 20th was actually the 13th anniverssary of the episode I mentioned: http://www.talkingpix.co.uk/Article_Casualty.html

The show's attention to social issues was demonstrated in the last episode of the 1992-93 season, 'Boiling Point' , and it would be almost impossible to discuss the series without mentioning the furore surrounding this edition.

Re-scheduled to go out after the 9pm watershed, the episode was the subject of hundreds of complaints, and the outcry prompted a disgraceful climb down from the BBC, which said the programme had "gone too far".

The plot had a gang of thugs setting fire to the hospital, and the complainants said it could have prompted copycat attacks. Setting aside the fact that a similar incident had already occurred in reality, this knee-jerk response to violence on TV shows once more the Mary Whitehouse lobby's assumption of a hypodermic model of audience response: the complainants think potential yobs would not only be at home on a Saturday night watching Casualty, but would be tempted to try burning down their local hospital.

Yet the 'Boiling Point' episode was an instant TV classic. It tackled some of the most important issues of the 1990s: the lawlessness of Tory Britain, the public belief that the police can't help and the ethics of vigilante action. And it worked all this into a hugely exciting thriller which had a hospital under siege, patients dying on the hospital forecourt, and a regular character (Rob) being badly injured in a disaster.

Despite its serious treatment of important issues, the protesters could see nothing except the fact that violence took place on screen. The BBC's lily livered response - and reports that the producers have been told to tone down the next series - may mean the 1993-94 series of Casualty is more timid. That would be a great loss to television.

Soldato
Behemoth said:
You know we moan about what our birds like to watch, but but don't forget our birds moan about what we like to watch. Trouble is we let them get away with it.

Too true - i moan at hers she moans at mine - so I watch mine on my laptop instead now and still moan at her :D

Back
Top Bottom