Missus wants a C-Class "Sports Coupe"

Soldato
OP
mrk1@1 said:
True Merc status only really comes when you have enough money to have more than one and the one you have either has and AMG badge or an SL500 tbh. Otherwise its just another exectuive type car. Also if your merc isnt one of the forementioned and its over three years old it may as well be a mondeo for all its worth.

I agree completely, the mid to top of the line merc are very nice indeed.. their lower end really isn't though :(

I wouldn't want an SL500 though.. I've heard they have a problem with people humping their bonnets ;)

Soldato
OP
BigT said:
I've been there buddy and feel for you. My missus dismisses an M3 because she doesn't like the "silly slashes in the body work near the fornt wheel" and has very specific guidlines for what the back of a car should look like.

If the age/mileage requirements weren't there I would have suggested a Boxster and the Alfa GT mentioned is a good choice if she considers Alfa to be a decent badge.

She looked at the Alfa 147 a while back, but reliability was a concern. She does about 30k a year, and can't afford to be late/miss work due to a broken car. She currently has a 3 series compact.. not my cup of tea, but at least it's been reliable.

Soldato
Beepcake said:
She looked at the Alfa 147 a while back, but reliability was a concern. She does about 30k a year, and can't afford to be late/miss work due to a broken car. She currently has a 3 series compact.. not my cup of tea, but at least it's been reliable.

Mercs are the wrong car to be looking at for that sort of mileage unless your minted, running costs and dealer servicing will be £££. Merc petrol consumption isn't amazing either but then exec cars don't need to be, assuming she has a fuel card?

Man of Honour
Beepcake said:
How related is the 'coupe' to the normal C-Class? It does seem to be completely different apart from the nose and the name :)

The relationship between the C Class 'Sport Coupe' and the Saloon as the same as that between the 3 Series Compact and the Saloon. It is NOT a C Class based Coupe - it is a small hatchback.

The proper C Class based Coupe - the 3 Series Coupe rival - is the CLK.

Soldato
As the general concensus shows, the C-Class "Sports Coupe" isn't a good car

The standard C class is, however. How about something like this. It's an automatic (desirable as the Merc manuals aren't great) and it's a diesel which should save money on the 30k miles she does per year

Soldato
Pre-facelift C's have an awful interior, the facelift models are far better, and feel much better screwed together.

However, the C-Class Sports Coupe is still horrible, it's not at all practical either.

Soldato
is a 3 series Touring out of the question?
It will be reliable.
She knows what the 3 series are like.
They are not that different from the saloon to drive.
They are not that big so you can say ''sorry,the kitchen sink stays'' when you go away :)

Soldato
C-Class Estate Win!!

An AMG32 Is practical, good looking and fast. I drive an C220 CDI Estate (Dads obviously). Nice power, Interior isn't all that, good sound system. Only problem is the engein tends to get noisy at High revs. On A Y plate, I think the newer models with the Sports option pack are Nicer. I wouldn't get a C-Class Coupe though, rather get a BMW 3 series or something similiar.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.

She might be able to sqeeze a C-Class or BMW touring into her requirements.. but there doesn't seem to be a great many round here.. I don't think she'd be keen on an auto box.

She likes the A4, but thinks it looks a bit poop without the S-Line kit on, so again, pushing the requirements again.

Hopefully I can find a few cars nearby she can look at to try and stop her buying the damn coupe :(

Soldato
Manual Merc = wrong.

clutch handbrake etc just doesnt work.

The clutchless manual is quite good though, very smooth and you can obviously choose gears like a real manual.

Id still have an auto though, this is a Merc so it is a cruiser.

Handling on the C-class coupe is (apparently) very good.

Soldato
D4VE said:
Manual Merc = wrong.

clutch handbrake etc just doesnt work.

The clutchless manual is quite good though, very smooth and you can obviously choose gears like a real manual.

Id still have an auto though, this is a Merc so it is a cruiser.

Handling on the C-class coupe is (apparently) very good.

What Car says the opposite. They say that you need the optional sports suspension at the very least.

The C Class on the other hand is said to handle rather well :)

Soldato
well here is my view on the car from someone who ACTUAL owns a C180K Coupe "Sports Edition".

i hate all these people that post about something that they have never driven, owned or even seen.

Personally i absolutely love my car. 1.8 litre engine petrol putting out 143bhp. not massive but works well. Auto box is an absolute joy on the mercs. or you can use the semi-auto option by knocking the gear level left and right to go up and down the box yourself.

driving wise - holds the road well, not the biggest car you will ever drive but it's coupe and that the point. good on the long drives and put the auto box in sport mode for the back roads and great fun to drive about.

Inside - well finished, good sound system, nice comfy seats, room for 4 adults. i'm 6ft 3 and plenty of room in the car for me.

Had the car 8 months now and loved it - not one problem with it - great service and wonderful dealership.

anything else you want to know - fire away.

Soldato
ajgoodfellow said:
What Car says the opposite. They say that you need the optional sports suspension at the very least.

The C Class on the other hand is said to handle rather well :)

Interesting, I was going on Parkers who give it 4/5 which is good.
Never driven one myself though :)

Soldato
OP
The Alfa GT is within budget, I know she thinks it looks smart and quite likes the badge.. not quite sure on the reliability side of things though.. I know they're better than they used to be, but are they a viable option for 30k a year of hassle free motoring?

Man of Honour
booyaka said:
i hate all these people that post about something that they have never driven, owned or even seen.

Not as much as we hate assumption.

driving wise - holds the road well, not the biggest car you will ever drive but it's coupe and that the point.

No, its 3 Series Compact style HATCHBACK. The CLK is the C Class Coupe.

anything else you want to know - fire away.

What else did you test drive before arriving at the conclusion that the C Class Coupe was the car for you?

Soldato
A-Class
B-Class
C-Class
Coupe
Saloon
Estate
CLK - Class
CL-Class
CLS -Class
E-Class
Saloon
Estate
G Wagon
R-Class (I think)
S-Class
SL-Class
SLR McLaren

Then the Vans:

Vanio
Vito
Sprinter

Something along those lines. The CLK was meant to be a C-Class coupe, but it's in it's own range now. C-Class Coupe also comes with the EVO Pack looks sexy tbh.

EDIT: Forgot the ML-Class too.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
Get an Alfa GT Coupe JTD.

Absolutely faboulous engine, sexy looks, interior is a little fragile though and it's got a HUGE boot.

The ride is quite harsh, but no more harsher than a C Class Sport Coupe with 17'' alloys.

Save a fortune by buying an import, 3rd year warranty certainly doesn't cost the amount you save.

Oh and imports usually come with Leather as opposed to Alfatex.

Back
Top Bottom