MJOLNIR: The minimalistic – but not boring – 9.7L Case

Associate
OP
Here it is guys! I'd be lying if I said this wasn't my absolutely favorite solution/upgrade in MJOLNIR thus far. No more dowels, no more press fits and no more corner splits/lines. Potential problems with anodized matching? GONE! Potential problems with different bead blasting distances? GONE!

Basically Unibody

The main block is extruded (w. minor milling) while the front cap and grills are milled. Everything is made from the same alloy and temper.

Update_6_unibody.jpg

Improved Performance Panels:

Basically increased the slot width from 4 to 5 mm and added 2 extra rows, more in-line with the rest of the 5mm'ness of MJOLNIR.

Update_6_panels.jpg

Next-Gen Riser

Can't say who'll make the new riser (secret) but it will be next-gen! More details on this in February :)

Ps. it's not the riser in the picture, I just used that as background for the text.
Update_6_riser.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Damn this is a good day!!

Best,
Alex

Soldato
Is this compatible with Intel's Ghost Canyon NUC + Element motherboards? It's a way off but I will be sending my nephew to university next year with a gaming PC and I will likely be giving him my RTX 2080 Ti. Intel's systems don't allow for full-length GPUs but yours do, so it's a question of the motherboard.

Associate
Oh dear gawwd... These cases are phenominal... I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT.

I've been looking at downsizing my current rig and this is perfect. Just a tad out of my budget unfortunately :(

Soldato
Tantalisingly close to the SEK 2,000,000 mark now at current exchange rates. Any more stretch goals planned? Or is the current top tier pretty close to the production limit?

Associate
OP
Is this compatible with Intel's Ghost Canyon NUC + Element motherboards? It's a way off but I will be sending my nephew to university next year with a gaming PC and I will likely be giving him my RTX 2080 Ti. Intel's systems don't allow for full-length GPUs but yours do, so it's a question of the motherboard.

It will not fit :/ I see that the back of the NUC is a PCIe-bracket, while MJOLNIR (mobo side) is made to fit an IO shield.

Oh dear gawwd... These cases are phenominal... I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT.

I've been looking at downsizing my current rig and this is perfect. Just a tad out of my budget unfortunately :(

Thanks so much! Ah dang, I understand though :)

Tantalisingly close to the SEK 2,000,000 mark now at current exchange rates. Any more stretch goals planned? Or is the current top tier pretty close to the production limit?

And now we're past it and the final stretch goals has been unlocked!! :D:D No more stretch goals planned, but we still have some upgrades to share in the upcoming updates!

Associate
OP
@AlexTzone Do you have any detailed info about the RGB on the R? Software compatibility for example and the type of components you used in the case?

Looking great btw

Yeah sure, but for the prototype. For the production model we're looking into making them compatible with Aurora sync, etc. So the LED strips will be slightly different (still the same LED/m density though).

Soldato
I remember giving feedback on this in the very early days, and being impressed with how seriously you took everyone's opinions.

Glad to see how superb this is looking, and in the hands of good YouTubes no less. Well done guys!

Associate
Hey guys, I think you'll like this one! :cool:

After a whole month of testing, we’re finally ready to present MJOLNIR thermal results – CHECK THEM OUT HERE.

It’s good to point out that we have tried all possible fan configs (push vs pull), in some cases improving thermals by up to 9°C. Head over to page 14 (in the link above) to check out some recommendations – we tried it all so you don’t have to. I'll post a brief summary of the results below.

Hardware
CPU: INTEL CORE i7 8700
GPU: ASUS RTX2070 TURBO
PSU: CORSAIR SF600
37 mm COOLER: NOCTUA NH-L9i
48 mm COOLER: NOCTUA NH-L9i & NF-A9 PWM
120 mm AIO: CORSAIR H55 & NOCTUA NF-A12x25 PWM
FRONT FAN: NOCTUA NF-A12x25 PWM
BACK FAN: NOCTUA NF-A12x15 PWM

CPU Testing Methods
All tests reached equilibrium long before 30 minutes, but we kept them running for the sake of consistency. First, we test CPU thermals in the standard orientation, for both metal- and glass panels. Next, we check if something improves in the reversed orientation. Last, we test how thermals are affected by swapping around the top panel and dust filter.

CPU Thermals - Standard Orientation
It’s pretty evident from the results below that the 120mm AIO is vastly superior to any of the air-cooling options we tested. The difference really can’t be overstated. Setting the radiator fan to pull instead of push performed between 3°C to 9°C better. Using a 120mm fan below the motherboard (back fan) improved VRM thermals by 22°C. If you plan to go for a high-TDP CPU like the 8:th / 9:th gen Core i7 or Ryzen equivalent – definitely go for the water-cooling option.

update_29_CPU_thermals_standard_orientation-min.jpg

CPU Thermals - Reversed Orientation
Reversing the orientation yields an additional improvement of between 1°C to 6°C. Keep in mind that when using the 48mm cooler, the case fan should be configured in PULL for the metal panels and PUSH for the glass panels. Next, we check if thermals are improved further by swapping around the top panel and dust filter.

update_29_CPU_thermals_reversed_orientation-min.jpg

CPU Thermals - Reversed Orientation & Dust filter top
Having the dust filter on top of the case, in reversed orientation, improves thermals further by about 1°C to 3°C, not much but still significant for those looking to overclock their high-TDP CPUs. If you’re the type of person that likes to push their system to the limit, definitely check out our setup recommendations on page 14 (in the link above).

update_29_CPU_thermals_reversed_orientation_dust_filter_top-min.jpg

GPU Testing Methods
All tests reached equilibrium long before 30 minutes, but we kept them running for the sake of consistency. Keep in mind that we’re using a blower-style GPU, a cooling solution optimized for thigh spaces. Thermals for open-air GPUs may vary, something to keep in mind.

GPU Thermals

update_29_GPU_thermals-min.jpg

Cable Management

update_29_1-min.jpg

update_29_2-min.jpg

update_29_3-min.jpg

update_29_4-min.jpg

As you can see it gets pretty crammed in there, especially when maxing out (i.e AIO + 25mm thick fan + 120 mm fan below the motherboard + full-lenght GPU). I think it may be well worth the effort to create custom cables.

Really hyped to hear what you guys think!!

Best,
Alex

looks good, everything you need in there. I like the simplicity of how the fans are screwed in. I saw a dust filter on one of your posts. Do all intake vents have them dust filters?

Associate
OP
Heey guys, we're going to hold a live Q&A tomorrow. So if you have ANY questions about MJOLNIR (shipping, quality, future plans) please join us tomorrow at 9:00PM CET, it's gonna be fun!! :)

Associate
Hey @AlexTzone would this case fit a Gigabyte RTX 3070 GAMING OC card? The mfr website lists this card as L=286 W=115 H=51 mm. And your specs show '51mm including backplate'. I'm just not sure what the backplate dimension means. Would this be cutting it too close to buy on the back of the specified dimensions alone?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey @AlexTzone would this case fit a Gigabyte RTX 3070 GAMING OC card? The mfr website lists this card as L=286 W=115 H=51 mm. And your specs show '51mm including backplate'. I'm just not sure what the backplate dimension means. Would this be cutting it too close to buy on the back of the specified dimensions alone?

It looks like it shouldn't be a problem! :) Worst case is that you may need to file down the riser standoffs by 0.5mm, or deshroud...but I don't think any of those will be necessary!

Back
Top Bottom