MK3 Skoda Octavia vRS thoughts?

Soldato
Rather than make a new thread i shall ask in here, i have a MK3 facelift 245 VRS new lease. Had it for 7 months and am very happy with it, i would reccomend as a great family car.

Anyone who owns one, do you notice a lot of exhaust fumes/gas what ever it is? It seems to put way more gases out than any other car ive seen, its at 2400 miles and i prob drive 3 miles per journey to work, i do give it a squirt every now and then and do longer at the weekend. Some days its not noticable but then other days it seems to put out loads.

Soldato
staying within vag family - do you really need the size of a vrs, especially day to day, or, would a golf estate 4motion/allroad be a candidate
.. vw media kit, nimble, discreet, better for camping needs ? - friends octavia always feels a bit bulky on the roads

Soldato
Rather than make a new thread i shall ask in here, i have a MK3 facelift 245 VRS new lease. Had it for 7 months and am very happy with it, i would reccomend as a great family car.

Anyone who owns one, do you notice a lot of exhaust fumes/gas what ever it is? It seems to put way more gases out than any other car ive seen, its at 2400 miles and i prob drive 3 miles per journey to work, i do give it a squirt every now and then and do longer at the weekend. Some days its not noticable but then other days it seems to put out loads.
They are generally pretty bad for condensation in the exhaust for some reason, especially when used for a lot of short journeys. It's nothing to worry about.

Soldato
They are generally pretty bad for condensation in the exhaust for some reason, especially when used for a lot of short journeys. It's nothing to worry about.

i thought it would be this more than anything as it doesnt have an odour, i thought it was something to do with engine tech trying to lower co2 emissions or along those lines, just wanted confirmation i guess :p

Soldato
OP
staying within vag family - do you really need the size of a vrs, especially day to day, or, would a golf estate 4motion/allroad be a candidate
.. vw media kit, nimble, discreet, better for camping needs ? - friends octavia always feels a bit bulky on the roads

Anything with the word Golf in places it out of budget or I'm looking at a older car with more miles on the clock, I will likely keep this car for 5yrs min but could be as long as 10yrs if required. I'd like the newest I can afford really. Dunno I guess it just comes down to I don't value the Golf over the Octavia, just like I prefer the Leon I have now over the current Golf.

Leon ST is an option, but they are all the same engine I have now, no one seems to really have bought the bigger tsi engines. So for some extra performance I'd be looking at a Cupra which once again don't seem to really fall into the budget at this point, the new Octavia and Leon are both primed for release.. so the cars I'm looking at now come the end of the year may well do, Still it's the Octavia I'm personally interested in. :)

Soldato
Yes - ok - if you don't like the design .. 4motion can be had on 16 15K@50K, but diesel;
fwd, even with a diff - the age old cookie - is it an exciting way to put >200bhp down.

Soldato
Have you looked into a Skoda Superb? They really do live up to their name and if you get a 2018 model year car, you get the nice widescreen touch sat nav which is great. I've driven a 2018 280bhp 4x4 one quite a lot and I really really rate it. It's very well built, very comfortable, very spacious and very modern - and they depreciate like a stone which means you can get a proper used bargain.

An example:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001216419270?

There are plenty of late 2017 early 2018 models with 30k-50k around for about £14-16k

Soldato
OP
Yes - ok - if you don't like the design .. 4motion can be had on 16 15K@50K, but diesel;
fwd, even with a diff - the age old cookie - is it an exciting way to put >200bhp down.

We do 8k miles a year so diesel really doesn't appeal,

4wd in a diesel all track Golf isn't an exciting way to put 180bhp down either....

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Soldato

There's plenty of FWD cars that are exciting with 200BHP+

MK1 & MK2 Ford Focus RS,
Volkswagen Golf GTI Clubsport S,
Renault Megane Trophy R,
Seat Leon Cupra 280,
Honda Civic Type R.

To name just a few that instantly popped into my head.

Associate
i thought it would be this more than anything as it doesnt have an odour, i thought it was something to do with engine tech trying to lower co2 emissions or along those lines, just wanted confirmation i guess :p
the smell could also be with only doing 3 miles each way - the engine is never really warming up fully, so likely to be running rich all the time?

Soldato
engine gets up to temp quite quickly according to the dial. I was surprised at how quickly it did. It can get to temp in less than a mile with me driving normal

Associate
He said it doesn't smell :p
sorry, saw exhaust gas/fumes and thus thought smell.

as for engine temp - use the right jogwheel on the steering wheel to change the display to oil temp - see how long that gets up to temp... It reads "--" when its under 50°, i think. I'm 99% sure my 230 takes longer than 3 miles. (and makes you realise how long you really need to wait before pushing the engine after a cold start).

Soldato
sorry, saw exhaust gas/fumes and thus thought smell.

as for engine temp - use the right jogwheel on the steering wheel to change the display to oil temp - see how long that gets up to temp... It reads "--" when its under 50°, i think. I'm 99% sure my 230 takes longer than 3 miles. (and makes you realise how long you really need to wait before pushing the engine after a cold start).

oil temp hit 81° by the time i got home which was quicker than usual as lighter traffic on friday afternoon.

my commute is 3.6 miles each way

Soldato
There's plenty of FWD cars that are exciting with 200BHP+

MK1 & MK2 Ford Focus RS,
Volkswagen Golf GTI Clubsport S,
Renault Megane Trophy R,
Seat Leon Cupra 280,
Honda Civic Type R.

I was about to say these are all lightweights, low inertia, so happy to turn in, but a 245 is, apparently, not so lardy.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/skoda/skoda-octavia-vrs-245-2017-review/ 1445kg.
A >200bhp octavia might be fast off the line (like an ev), but if a 180bhp golf 4motion, goes better around corners (in the wet too), I'd prefer that

I'm never sure whether real short journey/commute are really worse for diesel than petrol, felt guilty about my previous 2minute commute, about a mile up a steep hill; electric would be the solution.

Soldato
The coolant could be up to temperature with maybe 5 minutes but I'd expect at least 10 minutes for the oil to be up to temperature in a modern car. Although if you can't check the oil temp, I'd give it 15 to be sure.

What sort of real world fuel economy could I expect from a ~2017 245 VRS DSG? New job includes a car allowance which I may use to fund a new car (which for me is unheard of :eek: :eek:). Always loved the Octavia VRS and it is very appealing to me in estate form.

Associate
The coolant could be up to temperature with maybe 5 minutes but I'd expect at least 10 minutes for the oil to be up to temperature in a modern car. Although if you can't check the oil temp, I'd give it 15 to be sure.

What sort of real world fuel economy could I expect from a ~2017 245 VRS DSG? New job includes a car allowance which I may use to fund a new car (which for me is unheard of :eek: :eek:). Always loved the Octavia VRS and it is very appealing to me in estate form.

I would say an average somewhere in the 30s realistically. My long term average is 37.5mpg calculated. My commute is 23 miles each way mostly motorway and this normally just about achieves 40mpg. Shorter trips are about 30 or under depending on how short, traffic etc. Think the 245 has the 7 speed DSG so it would have an extra taller gear for motorway cruising but I wouldn't expect a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom