[MMA] Kimbo Slice V Ken Shamrock

Man of Honour
As reported on MMA Junkie.

Been reading a few MMA forums and seen many different opinions on this one - what's yours?

Personally I'm slightly interested in this bout. Yes, Ken is passed his prime, and doesn't pose a challenge to any real contender.......BUT.....Kimbo is far from a contender at this stage in his career, and I think this fight actually makes a lot of sense.

If Ken wins, Kimbo has lost to a UFC hall of fame member with a high ratio of sub wins (Kimbo's obvious weakness). To the casual viewer, who Elite XC is pretty much appealing to, Kimbos stock is far from ruined.

If Kimbo wins, pretty much the reverse is true. Win against a hall of fame member, who's recent weakness appears to be soundly chin related.

Granted - either way the fight doesn't prove much taking into consideration the bigger picture, but makes for a safe, exciting bout for Elite XC at this time. Either way, with Elite XC, Affliction and more, the MMA fans are getting more choice. All other orginisations have a lot to do to even begin to think about competing with the UFC, but it's all good for us MMA fans:cool:

Edit: Forgot to add my prediction, DOH! Slice by KO / TKO, although I wouldn't be completely shocked if Ken pulled off a sub.

Soldato
Kimbo first round win easy I reckon. Elite XC have just 'matched' him against another name that used to be. Ken has lost his last 5 fights by TKO in the first round! same as "most" of Kimbo's opponents. The only one he had trouble with was James Thompson who had lost 6 of his last 8 fights. So to combat this Elite XC have gone with an 'easy' win again.

Kimbo is a pure beast but not sure if he is suited for the big time!

Soldato
Kimbo is a joker, i've not seen him fight a decent opposition yet. I remember him really struggling against that copper who had 1 fight in UFC and was terrible. Shamrock must be nearly 60 now lol.

Soldato
Edit: Forgot to add my prediction, DOH! Slice by KO / TKO, although I wouldn't be completely shocked if Ken pulled off a sub.

Sitting on the fence there then :p

I think everyone knows this is just a draw fight (i.e. put two "big" name fighters in there and hope it draws a crowd), regardless I still think it'll be worth a watch.

Associate
I know that Bas is trying to bring Kimbo through the ranks slowly and not do was Brock Lesnar has done by jumping in the deep end but feeding Kimbo can after can is not going to advance his game is it.

Infact i hope Shamrock manages to pull off something like an ankle lock or an achillies tendon hold; that would be great to see from a submission expert.

Here is what Dana White (UFC President) has to say on the matter which i found quite funny, excuse the expletives even if they are starred out :p (Feel free to remove the last two paragraphs if needed admins :()

Another ****ing joke from Gary Shaw. This ****er is so clueless that it's laughable. First he thought we protected our guys, which is bulls**t. Then he gave us **** for matching up Brock against Frank Mir. Which would he rather us do? Obviously he's in favor of protecting guys since Kimbo doesn't seem to be fighting a good fighter anytime soon. Bo Cantrell? Who the **** is Bo Cantrell? Tank Abbott? He was never that good, he just looked tough and always got his ass kicked. Now Ken Shamrock? When is Kimbo going to fight a guy who was relevant past 1998? Tito Ortiz, who sucks, destroyed Ken Shamrock three times. It's clear that Gary is going to milk his YouTube cash cow for all he's worth but true fans know that Kimbo is a joke and he would get destroyed against any UFC Heavyweight. Maybe that moron Ken Shamrock will expose Kimbo and he'll go back to fighting guys at the local Burger King. Gary Shaw and his 3rd rate promotion have no ****ing credibility.

Soldato
If Ken forgets his pride and actually takes the fight to where he has strength IE the ground he will bag this. If he tries to stand and bang as he has done for his last 5 or so fights, he will lose, again.

Will be interesting to see if Frank commentates on this fight, will be funny to hear what he has to say about his brother.

Man of Honour
OP
Kimbo is a joker, i've not seen him fight a decent opposition yet. I remember him really struggling against that copper who had 1 fight in UFC and was terrible. Shamrock must be nearly 60 now lol.

Sean fought Kimbo before the UFC, although I agree. Gannon had 0 skill, and still exposed Kimbo. In his (Kimbo's) defense though, with Bas on his side he has to have improved leaps and bounds since that fight. no doubt Kimbo would take the fight easily this time around.

Sitting on the fence there then :p

I think everyone knows this is just a draw fight (i.e. put two "big" name fighters in there and hope it draws a crowd), regardless I still think it'll be worth a watch.

lulz. Damn right I'm sitting squarely on the fence:p I do heavily favour Kimbo in this one, but it's not beyond Ken to pull off the sub if he can avoid fist > chin contact:D

Soldato
Its just eliteXC trying to bring up a fighter

Most orgs do it

But.... EliteXC has a fairly shallow tallent pool and are not doing too well

Cynic in me sez they just want a BIG NAME and kens all they got... kinda sad tbh

The moment kimbo comes up against a legit mixed martial artist hes gonna sink but who knows how long that will take

Soldato
Kimbo first round win easy I reckon. Elite XC have just 'matched' him against another name that used to be. Ken has lost his last 5 fights by TKO in the first round! same as "most" of Kimbo's opponents. The only one he had trouble with was James Thompson who had lost 6 of his last 8 fights. So to combat this Elite XC have gone with an 'easy' win again.

Kimbo is a pure beast but not sure if he is suited for the big time!

Heh I'll never get this memory out of my memory of James Thompson. This is what happens when you put up all these bigs guys against good opposition.

Soldato
im not into UFC that much so dont know much about it but i must have seen about 5 guys just knock out that thompson in the first 20 seconds ??? does he ever win ?

Associate
Thompson is not the mug a lot of people think.

He was smart enough to get with a very good camp at London Shootfighters before the Kimbo fight but they just did not have enough time to work miracles on a guy who had very little ground game other than breaking him down and teaching him to tuck his chin in.

Thompson will get better from here on in because he is willing to learn all over again if thats what it takes and with good grapplers like Alexi around him he can only get better.

Anyway Kimbo by KO late into the first as I just feel that Ken has not really been able to score a takedown in his last four fights (3 attempted 0 success) if Ken can take him down then we could see an upset (ken has some of the best transitions to heel/leg hooks in the business)

Associate
no this has nothin to do with kimbo vs ken, but just watched the fedor vs silvia on youtube ( never knew that fight had happened yet :O ) and WOW silvia got all his trash talk rammed right down his mouth.

Back
Top Bottom