Mobile banking apps

Caporegime
Wow, that is bad.

Well, I'm with Nationwide and find their app very good. All of what I listed above, multiple accounts like current, credit card, savings, mortgage and the online banking gives you more information about your banking history.

Associate
I've always thought Nationwide's app was pretty good, and they made it even better a few months ago with a UI overhaul. I've glimpsed at Barclay's as my girlfriend is with them and theirs looks alright too.

HSBC's is godawful though - the aesthetic feels a decade old.

RJC

RJC

Don
Using the Nationwide app and quite pleased with it.

I did find when I had the M&S credit a few years ago they did take there time to-do online banking.

Soldato
I simply don't trust them, at least with Barclays you have the two step auth via the key pad thing they provide on the normal online banking.

Soldato
The RBS one is pretty good, can't say I've noticed anything missing on it that I need it to do. I've never had to use it so far but it also has a feature where you can generate a code to get cash out of a cash machine if your card is lost/stolen/don't have it to hand. Not sure if they all have that or not?

Soldato
First Direct, Barclays & NatWest all have great apps.

Barclays annoys me because you have to phone up to get access to the app on a new device (as I found out with a new phone). The entire reason I want an app is so that I don't need to talk to anyone :D

Associate
Tesco Bank app is very slick these days. Can do most things in the app that you can do with your online banking and can use your finger prints to log in if you so desire.

/Salsa

Soldato
Why on earth would people put all the banking details on a mobile electronic device is beyond me. :confused:

Don't have a clue and don't see the logic in mobile banking, but I do see the danger so its a nope from me. ;)

Soldato
HSBC's is complete garbage. They have just recently updated their online banking portal for the first time in over a decade though so maybe the app will get some attention next.

Soldato
Barclays is by far the best in the UK

I visited the Barclays world centre of technology in Manchester and sat in a lecture with the head of cryptography there.. They know their ****, and are innovating more than any other bank.

Soldato
Why on earth would people put all the banking details on a mobile electronic device is beyond me. :confused:

Don't have a clue and don't see the logic in mobile banking, but I do see the danger so its a nope from me. ;)

Old fashioned way of thinking.

Its 2016 not 1996. Its one of the most safest way to bank. None of your details are stored on your phone either. Most apps use the phone for secure login instead of using a separate RSA token.

Mobile banking is a god send when traveling abroad too, transferring your money or checking transactions there and then. No expensive phone call, queuing in line, logging onto some public computer and entering your details there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Barclays is by far the best in the UK

I visited the Barclays world centre of technology in Manchester and sat in a lecture with the head of cryptography there.. They know their ****, and are innovating more than any other bank.

Barclaycard's app is terrible though. It doesn't even support Touch ID. :(

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
One of the reasons I've stuck with Barclays is that their banking app and online services are extremely good. I have both Barclays banking, and Barclaycard apps. Whilst the Barclaycard app has less features, the standard banking app manages the Barclaycard account side of things anyway, so I really never have any need to use the Barclaycard app for anything, perhaps the free Experion credit report from time to time, but that's about it.

I was a bit annoyed that Barclays were not adopting Android Pay, but in reality their own contactless payments on Android is more convenient anyway, with more control.

The other major bonus is that calling Barclays via the app directly means you bypass all the usual identification steps at the start of the call, as you're already authenticated through the app. Nice to be greeted by name and have your questions answered right away. It's a small thing, but these things matter.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'd agree with you, if fingerprint sensors on phones weren't a thing.

Besides its very handy, its great being able to make a transfer on the fly, or confirm that a declined card is a dodgy reader and not due to being out of money.

Back
Top Bottom