Mobile data boosters, do they work?

Associate
I'm soon to move to a rural area with the inevitable poor mobile data reception. Broadband is available but I don't watch television or need a landline telephone. I've read about boosters (aka repeaters?) but do they work, ie. will they give me 4-5 bars indoors? A search by postcode says O2 are strongest in my area.
Replies appreciated.

Soldato
They do work, but how well they work depends on how much incoming signal they have to work with.

You’re also looking at £400 plus for a decent one plus installation costs. Do you know what frequency bands O2 uses in your area?

It might be far cheaper to get broadband run into your house and use WiFi.

Associate
OP
Thanks for reply.

Cannot find frequency bands for O2 in my area but another check on O2 coverage of my exact postcode says "not good for mobile broadband" but I now know that broadband is already available at the house. (I think netplus)

Soldato
Depending on the phone/network you have, it should also support wifi calling, so it'll use the broadband instead for calls instead of mobile reception. Saved me a few times at work where there's a few no spots.

Associate
OP
Thanks for replying.

Had a look at starlink - "users in South England might get it. However, it is still in the beta phase and early pre-order phase. In the UK, customers have to pay ➡️£89 per month⬅️ for the service and £54 for shipping, and £349 for the dish, router, and the entire kit."

Just a tad expensive even if it were available in the NE.
But all knowledge is good.

Back
Top Bottom