mobile data problem

Associate
hi, wouldn't usually post a question like this here but im desperate. i have a mobile router on the three network i use for my home broadband. i usually get full 4g signal with a download speed between 20-40mbs. but for the last couple of days it wont connect to 4g its stuck on 3g with a download speed of 0.3mbs. have tried resetting, restarting, off/ on again made no difference. i have the exact same problem on my iphone which is also on three.

i did a live chat with three this morning and they said there is no network problems in this area and after waiting 45 mins to be transferred to their technical department i was disconnected.

if anyone has any ideas on this please let me know.

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply's but after 2 days of trying everything and a lot of google searches it has just randomly gone back to normal on both devices. must have been a network problem getting over 40mps now :)

Soldato
I've had some issues with three recently with network speeds, that I seem to have solved. The device I'm using is the b535 router.

Download the Huawei hiLink app, position the router using the 'best position app', small changes can have an effect and you want it in the blue range.

If you want to see more detail login to the router settings, and under advanced>system>device information refer to the table here and corresponding values (the Huawei app should be enough for set up purposes but it's interesting to see):

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/Mobile_Signal_Strength_Recommendations#4G_.28LTE.29

In the router settings page, under network set it to to 4G only, and network searching to manual and 3 (4G).

Under the device information page look for the Cell_ID, this will tell you what mast you are connected to in your area and also we can use it to find out what band you are using.
Go to cellmapper.net, on the drop down menu on the left select Three/ your network and go to your area on the map. Start at the nearest mast to your location and click on it, look for a cell identifier that matches the Cell_ID on your router, there are several on each mast. The frequency of the down/ uplink and frequency band will give you an idea if you will recieve fast or slow speeds.
In my area the local mast I am connected to provides band 3 (1800mhz) and band 20 (800mhz), 3 being faster and 20 giving better coverage, ability to penetrate walls etc. Moving the router less than a meter around my house has the effect of the band frequency I could recieve as confirmed by the cell ID.

Now there may be things I'm missing here as I'm not a network engineer, but it's useful info that I've gathered to ensure that I can get the best signal short of installing an external antenna.

Back
Top Bottom