Mobile Phone Insurance...I have been requested proof of last use...is this even possible?

Soldato
Evening all,

I am trying to claim for a damaged phone and I am being requested to provide the last use of the device, is this even possible?

I am currently using a spare phone, thought I may be able to prove something on my EE online account but it has already changed my device as being the Nokia and not Sony.

Seems an almost impossible request or could I have completely misunderstood their request?

EE have just sent me proof of purchase, anyway of me getting proof of the last used info?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Can't see how it's possible unless you can ask EE to provide something saying when that devices IMEI last registered on the network, seems like a very strange request either way.

Soldato
The insurance company do not need proof of usage only proof of purchase, it's a delaying tactic to not pay out.

Once you provide proof of purchase and if your insurer will still not repair/replace then tell them you want to make an official complaint and you want to escalate the claim. Your insurers are obliged to do this and specifically mention you will make a complainant to the Financial Ombudsman (FOS). This costs them/their insurers, expect you claim to be expedited at that point.

Soldato
OP
The insurance company do not need proof of usage only proof of purchase, it's a delaying tactic to not pay out.

Once you provide proof of purchase and if your insurer will still not repair/replace then tell them you want to make an official complaint and you want to escalate the claim. Your insurers are obliged to do this and specifically mention you will make a complainant to the Financial Ombudsman (FOS). This costs them/their insurers, expect you claim to be expedited at that point.

Thanks for this. Been on to chat with EE to see if they can help, they have raised a ticket to see if anything can be done.

I am thinking it may be an anti fraud thing to just prove I have been using the phone.

Like I say may have completely misunderstood the request or misheard as our 6 month old was also screaming the house down.

Associate
With O2 I know you can phone them and they will send you a letter with the date and time the device was last used on their network, I had to do this once before when my screen cracked and I claimed on insurance, O2 were really helpful, dunno about EE though.

Soldato
OP
With O2 I know you can phone them and they will send you a letter with the date and time the device was last used on their network, I had to do this once before when my screen cracked and I claimed on insurance, O2 were really helpful, dunno about EE though.

Thanks for the info, will give EE another go.

however looking I to it the phone is a 2016 Sony XZ. Excess is £75 on a potential old for refurb...looking at the phones coming in from China for around £130 I may just go for one of these as a change.

Soldato

The insurance company can make any reasonable request they want. Don't make up crap.

FOS will simply say you didn't respond to their reasonable request.

The reason they are doing this is that some people buy insurance after damaging or losing their phone.

Back
Top Bottom