Mobiles phones and digital wellbeing

Capodecina
Soldato
It's well-known that mobile phones can have an impact on one's time and health. How do you manage things so that you don't spend too much time on your phone, or its constant notifications don't end up being an irritant?

I find that the only thing that can get to me is the constant Whatsapp audio notifications, so I have turned those off. Sometimes I have them on when I'm feeling extra sociable, but mostly they're off.

I have also disabled the Facebook app, and have no email apps configured. The only audio notifications I get are texts and calls. At night I have all notifications off apart from alarms and repeat callers.

Does anyone use any wellness apps or settings? Would be interested to see what people use to manage their wellbeing.

I think mobile phones should be a positive asset to our lives, and an enjoyment to use rather than a stress-inducing timesink, so I try to modify the settings so I always enjoy using the device.

Soldato
My screens probably on for 4 hours a day.
Don't use Facebook, I do look at some photos on Instagram and vids of YouTube, but not to long as it gets boring. That's all the social media I do.

Few WhatsApp messages, not a lot. Don't tent to jump when it pings, I'll look when I'm ready. If it's urgent, phone me. Might browse some websites whilst the TV is on.

Use the phone to research things to buy, or jump on PC.

Sometimes I look at junk and think, I should just out this down, so I do.

Phone on silent all night, except family for emergencies or work on call.

Soldato
Fill your time with stuff that isn't phones, rather than using your phone to fill a gap in your life which doesn't need to be there.

Easier said than done, of course.

Associate
Fill your time with stuff that isn't phones, rather than using your phone to fill a gap in your life which doesn't need to be there.

Easier said than done, of course.

Exactly what i was going to say.

An app to measure screen time shows there's a problem, having the app means at least you're willing to try and address it. Though that's only my pov.

I'm not part of group chats on mobile, and everything gets short replies. "How are you?" type messages get one liners or ignored, and i'm a chatty guy. I've messaged old work pals in the past to see how they are doing, but i think because i probably won't see them again it has some meaning and contradicts the above. The group chats with my regular mates feel meaningless and just time wasting. But i do appreciate a good meme still.

Forums are where i spend phone time. Good to read other opinions and broaden knowledge on interested topics.

Moving away from news tv/sites and facebook feeds is a real positive for me. Though forums aren't always perfect.

However, if work puts people in a position where they are twiddling thumbs then i can imagine reaching for social media is an easy time kill. Allbeit a bad one.

Back
Top Bottom