Mod83 - Ghostbusters EGX Build

Associate
OP
how did you get asus to give you a mobo?

ASUS don't "give" you a motherboard, its hardware in return for exposure and an end product. This build is meant to be for EGX later this month but I am struggling to get the time off work and courier prices (insured) are sky high so it may not sadly make it. EGX is such an opportunity to get my brand out there, increase social following etc but working for the Fire Service means I can't just take days off when I feel like it. Hopefully, someone will help me out, if not there is always next year if ASUS wish to work with me again.

Associate
ASUS don't "give" you a motherboard, its hardware in return for exposure and an end product. This build is meant to be for EGX later this month but I am struggling to get the time off work and courier prices (insured) are sky high so it may not sadly make it. EGX is such an opportunity to get my brand out there, increase social following etc but working for the Fire Service means I can't just take days off when I feel like it. Hopefully, someone will help me out, if not there is always next year if ASUS wish to work with me again.
I have just got my tickets to EGX. My first time. Hope to see you there.

Associate
OP
I have just got my tickets to EGX. My first time. Hope to see you there.

I would love to, sadly I am working a whole bunch and cant make EGX. I'm gutted as it would be my first one and to be on display is fantastic, shame I won't be there to spend time with people and network a little :). I am dropping the system off at ASUS on Monday so it will be all good to go, a last few finishing bits and it's ready.

Ive come in for a lot of criticism on social media, I have seen comments about this been all scratched up and basically banging a system together but I want to set this straight. I think people are missing the point of this build, it is supposed to look thrown together, scratched, abused and made from whatever tidbits were leftover from manufacturing Proton Packs. Hope to the majority this comes across, it will be on show covered in dust, parts hanging off etc as thats what I was aiming for. Its perfection but not in the normal sense.

Anyway if you are off to EGX then please get involved, my socials are listed below and I would really appreciate it if the OCUK community would share and tag me, let me know what you think!

https://www.instagram.com/mod_83_gaming/
https://www.facebook.com/Mod83Gaming/

Associate
OP
This update takes us all the way up being ready for EGX! The last few weeks have been really busy and so modding took a back seat until the last minute to get this ready for delivery to ASUS. Time always seems to fly when there are things to be done and this was no exception!

Given the lack of time, photos took a bit of a back seat so please forgive me for the quality of some of these. I have ordered a studio kit so that should be here in time for our next project.

First up was to spray some of the external components to match the rest of the build. I had a rough idea of how I wanted the exterior to look but didn't know exactly how it would turn out. Lack of time does force you to make decisions on builds and in some ways, I am pleased the pressure was on because as it turns out, I think it compliments the interior really well.

With the components painted it was time to fit the final parts from Ben of Kent including the HGA to the front panel. Part of the vision was to include the Proton Pack parts that were recycled to fit this machine so that it provides the contrast between weathered and newish components.

The top of the Dark Base features Clippard Valves tied into the front of the system and wiring loom.

With everything fitted it was time to test the lighting. This system is quite complicated given what I was trying to achieve and it cant be seen in photos.

The interior is based on the ASUS Aura Flash and Dance to mimic the Power Cell from the Proton Pack and is controlled by onboard ARGB. For the front panel Cyclotron, the Dark Base 900 included RGB is used to provide a breathing effect while the overall case and fan lighting are controlled by external Bitfenix ARGB.

With the lighting sorted and everything back together, it was time for a final check, the addition of a few more decals while trying to make sure it was not overdone. A lot of people have commented on this picture on Instagram and I love it, it was perfect for the Alphacool backplate and its one of my favorite aspects of the build.

I would love to hear people's thoughts on who grew up with Ghostbusters and who was their favorite, for me its Venkman so this is his machine!

Slimer and some slime had to be included for a bit of fun. At the end of the day, anyone involved with builds enjoys what they do and while some builds are clean, pristine works of arts, others are an expression and at times, close to the heart. Anyone who mods will know it can be one of the most enjoyable, passionate experience and this has been no exception

With everything ready it was time to take this 30KG plus system down to ASUS, its a 3hr drive from here in Grimsby and boy was I nervous to hand it over! I was not sure what ASUS would think of the build so the drive was filled with tension and panic. After a 24hr shift, all of a sudden we were there and greeted by the large ASUS logo. Being the first time I was meeting my contact, let alone dropping off a system for a show, a deep breath and off to reception to sign in!

So here it is, finished and ready for EGX, the unveiling was tense and the reaction from the guys at ASUS really put me at ease. As it turns out they love the theme and we talked through various aspects including the covered loop tubing, the components that Ben of Kent has supplied and a few other aspects. I only managed to get one pic sat on the desk but I am sure that they will be putting out a whole load of pics over the weekend.

There will be one more update on this, once it is back from EGX. As I say I have ordered a studio kit and this will be up for final pics once I have collected it. My updates are not normally this long but for this, I am so lucky.

To gain the confidence of brands such as ASUS, be quiet!, Team Group and everyone else involved over the past few months has been really amazing. I am just a normal guy who loved building PCs and I will remember the past few months for the rest of my life.

I hope my next project only builds on the work already done and that everyone has enjoyed following along. If you are attending EGX then please tag us so that we get to hear your thoughts, I love hearing what people think of my builds, good or bad as it helps me in making decisions on future builds.

Soldato
Just arrived back from EGX, and did a search for the official thread. Couldn't find one but this one popped up and I saw an all too familiar looking case I'd been admiring from the moment I wandered over to the Ocuk section. Got to talk to 8Pack too!

Fnn3wYF.jpg

Soldato
Just came along to say that is an awesome build! Very impressed with the quality when I saw it at EGX. Not quite my cup of tea design wise, but I can respect the time and effort you put into this!

Associate
OP
Just came along to say that is an awesome build! Very impressed with the quality when I saw it at EGX. Not quite my cup of tea design wise, but I can respect the time and effort you put into this!

Thanks bud, appreciate you taking the time to comment here. I lost count of the time spent on this one but I would say around two weeks at 8 hours a day at least.

Associate
OP
What happens to these builds once they are "finished"? :)

Some of mine get stripped and recycled, from these parts get used in other builds and some sold off or given away for friends or people I know struggle to afford them.

I do have a couple of rigs that I keep, even for sentimental value and I think this may be one of them. I am toying with an idea to give the case and props away to someone in the Ghostbusters community but I need to collect it from ASUS first!

Back
Top Bottom