Modern 4K TV's with SCART ?

Caporegime
Component appears to be the only option (with the likely negative you cant play PS1 games due to unsupported resolution, but I have a PS3 for that), and I doubt I will ever notice a difference between SCART and Component anyway.

PS3 backwards compatibility is a no go, the ones that do play them are probably on their last legs thanks to YLOD. Emulation via PC, no idea where this is at if im honest, always assumed it was still not quite there.

I thought any PS3 would play PS1 games - the PS3 should upscale the PS1 game output too whereas the PS2 when playing PS1 games won't so you'd have the same issue with most modern TVs when trying to play a PS1 game over component via a PS2.

Associate
OP
Meant to say component on my current TV doesnt support the PS1's resolution over component (does on SCART), not the system itself. I can use the PS3 for PS1 games anyway as like you say, it upscales them so never have any problems there :)

Hopefully PS5 will bring back full back compat but who knows.

Soldato
Honestly, if you enjoy playing retro consoles in the living room, on your main TV, get an OSSC. I run one with my Amiga 1200, PS2 and now my Dreamcast. It's very simple, no lag compared to these cheap HDMI boxes off Amazon and the graphics look great on my 60'' LCD.

It's not that expensive and you'd get most of your money back if you sold it on. Better that than having to keep older tvs knocking about or compromising the choice of my main TV.

Associate
OP
Yeah they both look to fix this exact issue, despite being the cheaper option the Tink is still over £100, but nothing else out there that can do what it does at that price anyway :p When I get a new TV one of those will do the trick then, cheers :)

Caporegime
Honestly, if you enjoy playing retro consoles in the living room, on your main TV, get an OSSC. I run one with my Amiga 1200, PS2 and now my Dreamcast. It's very simple, no lag compared to these cheap HDMI boxes off Amazon and the graphics look great on my 60'' LCD.

I get the use of those things with say a SNES, Megadrive etc.. but what is the benefit with a PS2 or Dreamcast vs just connecting with component cables directly? What does it scale the output to for example? I mean if your TV still has some work to do with the output then it seems like just using a component cable directly would be just as good?

Soldato
he doesn't have a component connection on the new tv.

so with the 480p component output retros, the device is just converting that directly to a 480p hdmi signal which the tv then has to upscale ;
so identifying a tv with a good upscaler will be important too.

Soldato
I get the use of those things with say a SNES, Megadrive etc.. but what is the benefit with a PS2 or Dreamcast vs just connecting with component cables directly? What does it scale the output to for example? I mean if your TV still has some work to do with the output then it seems like just using a component cable directly would be just as good?

The benefit of the OSSC is a better, more stable picture with less noise than you would get over component. It also doesn't introduce lag. I'm not saying component doesn't work, but if you care about getting the best quality picture, imo you cant beat the OSSC for the money.

But don't just take my word for it: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ossc.html

Caporegime
The benefit of the OSSC is a better, more stable picture with less noise than you would get over component. It also doesn't introduce lag. I'm not saying component doesn't work, but if you care about getting the best quality picture, imo you cant beat the OSSC for the money.

But aren't you connecting with OSSC via component in the first place? What is better about it in the dreamcast/PS2 instances?

Edit, ah, apologies, it was further down the page, your link does indeed answer, interesting, I might get one of these myself. :)

Unless you're using active sync conversion utilities, the only system you might have, that can actually use RGB with sync on green (RGsB), is Sony's Playstation 2. Usually using a RGB scart cable with your PS2 means that you're limiting yourself (and your PS2) to 240p and 480i output (or 288p and 576i if you got a PAL system). Scart inputs on your regular TV won't accept anything higher.

If you wanted to use 480p from supported games, you are usually using a component cable cable instead. Once switched to component the PS2 is perfectly happy to output 240p, 480i and 480p all through the same cable and in the same YPbPr format. Unfortunately the PS2's component signal is not 100% as good as its RGB signal. You get a little bit more of noise. And wouldn't it be great to just use the OSSC's component input for some other system instead? Well, you can by reverting your PS2 to RGB.

With the PS2 set to RGB in its internal menu, you get a RGBs signal for your 240p and 480i output. The PS2 will still let you switch to 480p on supported games, but with that the PS2 will switch from RGBs to RGsB. Since the OSSC supports both signals on its RGB scart input, you can connect your Playstation 2 using a matching cable while still enjoying 480p output.

Last edited:
Soldato
you could try 2nd hand for a 3-4 year old set, some of them had both component and scart still. My panny tx 55cx802 had both of them and was a pretty good tv. £2k new and probably only £300 2nd hand, should be better than the latest budget stuff as well.

Associate
Looking at buying a new TV soon, but something I'm recently enjoying is playing some old games on my PS2, which currently connects to my old 50" Plasma Samsung via SCART, and actually looks pretty damn good all things considered.

Been looking at 4K TV's and not a single one of them appears to have SCART anymore (understandable I guess), which sort of sucks as hooking up a PS2 to them via an upscaler adds a stupid ammount of input lag, or I end up having to spend a small fortune on line doubler things, which i'd rather avoid.

Do any of them come with them these days?

There was a TV that Hisense made back in 2017 which i have purchased and it has scart on it. Serial number is H49M3000
It has HDR10 but is only a 60hz display. It can display 1080p at 120Hz if you wanna use it as a monitor tho xD

Hope this helps!

Associate
Looking at buying a new TV soon, but something I'm recently enjoying is playing some old games on my PS2, which currently connects to my old 50" Plasma Samsung via SCART, and actually looks pretty damn good all things considered.

Been looking at 4K TV's and not a single one of them appears to have SCART anymore (understandable I guess), which sort of sucks as hooking up a PS2 to them via an upscaler adds a stupid ammount of input lag, or I end up having to spend a small fortune on line doubler things, which i'd rather avoid.

Do any of them come with them these days?
Check out a device called a retrotink.
www.retrotink.com
X5 pro is amazing but for your needs I’d go for a retrotink mini.

Also there’s a device called a GBS-8200 scart upscaler. EBay is a good start for these.

Soldato
Buy an old CRT TV or ditch the PS2 and use an emulator. Emulators can boost the internal resolution (plus loads of other options) as well making old games look so much better

Back
Top Bottom