Moments at grounds where you've been genuinely worried for safety...

Permabanned
With regards the incident last night, I started thinking about times me or my family have been in a stadium where you thought all hell was going to break loose.

Any interesting stories?

Soldato
Went with my uncle to watch Liverpool play City at the old Maine Road (he was a City season ticket holder) and was sat in the Kippax stand had to really try and not jump up when Hamann scored, there were a couple of other Liverpool fans who'd got in a few rows behind us and they didn't stay as composed as me, needless to say I wasn't moving for the rest of the match after what I saw when the City fans got hold of them.

Man of Honour
Was at a game a few years ago where about 5 blokes, proper hard cases, probably drunk, were shouting obscenities at the opposition's goal keeper (really nasty stuff) some guy there with his 2 kids asked them (politely) to stop because of his kids and they started to lay into him and the one security guy in that section was obviously too afraid to get involved and just radioing for help which wasn't coming. Got to the point where we were like we are going to have to do something then finally the police turned up. (EDIT: Sadly in general something which seems to happen far too often and one of the reasons I don't tend to go to games much - not out of concerns for my safety just I don't need to be around that or take other people to be around that).

Another time had a bunch of lads jumping and bashing stuff, there was quite a group of them and really going to town, making as much noise and chaos as they could resulting in the whole stands shaking and I was concerned as to how well they'd hold up, sure in theory they should but it wouldn't be the first time they've not - they were too stupid to have any such concerns.

Caporegime
Never had any trouble at games, but I did go on a tour around Anfield once. Just as the tour guide was about to take us in, a large group of chavs walked by and started kicking off, spitting at the guide and threatening them. It's an absolute dump around there though so probably just a standard occurrence. :p

Man of Honour
Thankfully I've never been genuinely worried. Closest thing wasn't actually at the ground, it was at Highbury & Islington station after an Arsenal match, rowdy group of West Ham fans piling onto packed carriages and shoving people out of the way, being generally abusive and obnoxious, asking some girl to "get your **** out" etc. The sort of thing that will bait White Knights into a response so they have an 'excuse' for a ruck.

Back
Top Bottom