Mondeo k-k-kangaroo'ing

Soldato
Hello Motors

I've had to go and rescue the brother in laws 1.8 Diesel Mondeo tonight.

If you tickle it really gently you can get it up to speed but giving it a couple of cm's worth of gas and it Kangaroo's. It revs ok in neutral.

Any sort of incline and its creating tailbacks as it almost grinds to a halt.

Any ideas? its only done 30k so hoping its not injectors

Soldato
Start by checking the basics I.e all the hoses are intact, connected and don't have holes in them. For it to be that bad you'd normally be well aware a boost pipe had come off but its worth checking.

No lights on the dash I take it?

If no problems with the hoses unplug any maf/ map sensor it has and see what difference that makes etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like an induction problem, so either hoses, the intercooler, or the turbo has failed.

If the injectors were bad enough to cause kangarooing it would be limp home mode.

Is it throwing a lot of smoke out the back on inclines?

Soldato
OP
Start by checking the basics I.e all the hoses are intact, connected and don't have holes in them. For it to be that bad you'd normally be well aware a boost pipe had come off but its worth checking.

No lights on the dash I take it?

If no problems with the hoses unplug any maf/ map sensor it has and see what difference that makes etc.

I had similar problems on my 60 plate last year and it turned out to be the maf sensor.

Sounds like an induction problem, so either hoses, the intercooler, or the turbo has failed.

If the injectors were bad enough to cause kangarooing it would be limp home mode.

Is it throwing a lot of smoke out the back on inclines?

Cheers guys.. Google is throwing up similar answers. So will defo look at the MAF first

Inclines...It barely gets up any and I hadn't noticed to be honest.

It struggles to accelerate in gear but changing up early and allowing the engine to pull the speed up helps. But even on cruise and a slight incline and it Kangaroo's not sure if I could also hear a slight hiss everytime it jolted.

I'll have a look in the morning and update

Again..Cheers

Soldato
OP
I've been working away for a few weeks so have only just had chance to go over the codes again.

Codes:

P1100- AIR FLOW
P2000- NOX TRAP
P0028- INTAKE CONTROL
P100C
P2012
P0600- SERIAL COMS
P0064- HO2S HEATER CONTROL HIGH VOLTAGE
P0100-AIR FLOW
P2800
P0CLC
P3000
CO64F
C1220- ABS LAMP
C2E20

Amy ideas

Soldato
A split hose between the intercooler and the EGR is the usual culprit. The split stays shut in neutral and under 1400rpm in gear as the turbo isn't adding any boost by then but anything over that creates boost which opens the split and all the air disappears.

Soldato
I had a similar(ish)problem, but on a focus with over 100000 miles, so might not be similar at all :p

Turned out to be the IMRC was worn out, which I think is related to the P0028 code you have.

Back
Top Bottom