Money into Adwords or SEO?

Man of Honour
I'd have thought you'd need a mix of both? one to build and maintain a presence online and the other to reach out to people who might not normally encounter you, never crossed their mind that your services could be useful to them, etc.?

Soldato
Well, our website deals in estate planning in England and Wales. start of the year they were spending thousands on AdWords. 90% of traffic was coming from there.

In Feb they started with proper SEO with blogging (still needs a lot of work on the site) and social media. Current stats show that only 35% of traffic now is through AdWords. 26.5% is organic searches, 16.5 direct and 21.4 is social.

We're hoping in another 3 months we can get rid of adwords completely, rebrand the website to make it more SEO friendly and keep pushing.

Adwords can work alongside SEO, it can give you a boost, but ultimately, you want SEO to take over and Adwords to drop off. Once SEO is done with good quality content, it doesn't cost anything other than tweaking here and there. Adwords, is a constant charge.

Associate
This has been interesting reading. My company recently invested in an SEO campaign to help boost our 'web presence' to pull in more visitors. The objective is always to get more customers and increase sales. In this respect it was not as successful as I would have liked - got more visitors but not more sales or enquiries. The bounce rate had gone up indicating those visitors were not good quality.

That was £250 for 3 months to a half-decent Indian firm who did give the site a lot of attention and gave me some good advice for keeping the SEO healthy. Its certainly jumped up in the google organic results which should bring results over time.

I'm now looking at setting up an adwords campaign with a similar budget. First i'm doing plenty of research to make sure it gets spent in the right places but i'm anticipating some trial and error. Will report back to let you all know how it goes.

Associate
Ahrefs recently published an article which goes in to great depth to explain and advise on what you should be doing for SEO.

https://ahrefs.com/blog/link-building/

Perfect timing for this thread. :)

As for PPC, as long as you are profiting off what you are spending from tracking conversions, what's the problem, invest in both. Keep budgets for SEO and PPC seperate. You could let someone set up your PPC campaign for you for a couple of days work and then let it run itself. You could technically manage it yourself budget wise once it was set up if you have the time to learn a bit about it.

Last edited:
Associate
Personally Adwords did nothing for our company, we were paying a fair amount a month but because our industry so saturated and the keywords we were interested in were high value we couldnt afford to run it.

We then put all our effort into SEO and now for those keywords we organically rank a lot higher and haven't spent anywhere near as much.

If SEO is done right then it is invaluable as it's guaranteed traffic for free.

Back
Top Bottom