Monitor Advice Please Samsung 144hz/LG 144hz

Associate
What does the strobing do for game play please? I'm interested in picking one of these up but I have a 1080ti so I won't be able to use freesync but If this strobing is worth while and disables freesync anyways it might be worth me taking the plunge on one!

Basically, it greatly improves motion-clarity by rapidly turning on and off the panel, flickering. This makes games feel much more responsive and 'fluid' by reducing motion blur. At present you cannot use a strobing backlight (known as ULMB in G-Sync screens) in combination with FreeSync or G-Sync.

Here is a brief guide with pictures explaining the benefits of backlight strobing. And another much more in-depth backlight strobing guide

Having played games myself with a strobing backlight enabled, I can confirm it does make everything a lot more smooth and responsive (particularly in fast-paced FPS game). The effect is similar to the smoothness of CRT screens. I would argue that a strobing backlight has a greater impact than FreeSync/G-Sync on the level of enjoyment in games. It is worth mentioning that the added smoothness is particularly noticeable nearer to the 144hz limit of the monitor - something you should have absolutely no trouble achieving with a 1080ti.

There are a variety of G-Sync monitors that also feature a strobing backlight, but these all cost much more than this Samsung monitor, with some costing 2x or 3x times as much.

Last edited:
Associate
I currently have a 1080ti but obviously wont benefit from the freesync. The price has got me really interested with the samsung range. You seem to get a lot for your money!
Are not keeping the 1080ti? That's the card most have upgraded to within the last week.

If you are keeping it then consider one of the acer gsync 24 inch models for under £400 if you can afford it.

I have both the lg and the 24cfg70 right now. Both are amazing screens for gaming. I have a dell s2417dg on it's way to me to pair up with a 1080ti.

Associate
OP
Are not keeping the 1080ti? That's the card most have upgraded to within the last week.

If you are keeping it then consider one of the acer gsync 24 inch models for under £400 if you can afford it.

I have both the lg and the 24cfg70 right now. Both are amazing screens for gaming. I have a dell s2417dg on it's way to me to pair up with a 1080ti.
I was thinking of selling the 1080ti hybrid as this whole Quantom dot technology is getting me quite excited. I could keep the 1080TI and obviously lose the freesync technology but the whole strobe lighting Q-Dot screen sounds pretty awesome!

I currently own a AOC AGON 27" G-Sync 1440P but i get bored :D

Associate
I was thinking of selling the 1080ti hybrid as this whole Quantom dot technology is getting me quite excited. I could keep the 1080TI and obviously lose the freesync technology but the whole strobe lighting Q-Dot screen sounds pretty awesome!

I currently own a AOC AGON 27" G-Sync 1440P but i get bored :D
:D You're as bad as me then. The samsung does look good and the red colors are deep but everyone who has seen the lg says it looks better.

It has a very high contrast ratio for an ips screen and very good black. But amd has no card in the 1080ti territory so I would stick with that.

I am waiting on a dell s2417dg which is a tn panel but has a very high ppi, 165hz and 1440p with gsync. I have to see this in motion. :D

Associate
OP
:D You're as bad as me then. The samsung does look good and the red colors are deep but everyone who has seen the lg says it looks better.

It has a very high contrast ratio for an ips screen and very good black. But amd has no card in the 1080ti territory so I would stick with that.

I am waiting on a dell s2417dg which is a tn panel but has a very high ppi, 165hz and 1440p with gsync. I have to see this in motion. :D
Sod it. I've settled with the 24" the PPI is good and the tech looks good. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and go from there :D

Soldato
Colours are definietly better than the 6 bit + FRC TN. Whites whiter and more contrast too. Certainly looks closer to the Pioneer plasma, rather than the medicore LCD type.

Is 72% NTSC (TN) to 125% sRGN (VA) is a pretty big jump?

Associate
Colours are definietly better than the 6 bit + FRC TN. Whites whiter and more contrast too. Certainly looks closer to the Pioneer plasma, rather than the medicore LCD type.

Is 72% NTSC (TN) to 125% sRGN (VA) is a pretty big jump?
A huge jump. Everything appears a lot more life-like, and the greater range of colours reveal previously un-seen details if you watch the same content side-by-side. I noticed that blacks are particularly improved with VA, compared to the grey-ish colour-banded blacks on TN screens.

Did you end up returning it in the end, due to the clear indications that you were sent a used item? I find that sort of stuff totally unacceptable on new items.

Soldato
Just returned two 24", scratches from new.
Also blocky text in BIOS, so unusable.

Despite being 24", it feels much smaller than the 24" 16:10, the vertical loss is quite considerable, and width feels the same.

Soldato
I am thinking about getting that model too. Do you recommend this monitor for gaming?

Only had it a couple of days. Didn't do much gaming on it, just a few games here and there to test speed and >60hz. Seemed very good.

However 24" 16:9 feels a bit small. Going from 24" 16:10 12.72 inches to 24" 16:9 11.77 inches actual height. Compared to width 20.35 inches 20.92 inches

Associate
Sod it. I've settled with the 24" the PPI is good and the tech looks good. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and go from there :D
I now have the Dell S2417DG and it's brilliant. Really sharp and the motion clarity is off the scale.

I was expecting washed out colors and really high gamma but was surprised that it wasn't the case.

I have it dialed in now and it's popping. :D

Associate
OP
I now have the Dell S2417DG and it's brilliant. Really sharp and the motion clarity is off the scale.

I was expecting washed out colors and really high gamma but was surprised that it wasn't the case.

I have it dialed in now and it's popping. :D
Niceee!!!! If you get chance you should post some pics :)

Associate
Since you asked so nicely. :D
2017-08-23%2016.43.21_zpsrp7ffmk6.jpg
2017-08-24%2012.17.48_zpspzb03mib.jpg
2017-08-24%2012.18.14_zps7pcxmeg8.jpg
2017-08-24%2013.48.48_zpspu6akvc9.jpg
2017-08-24%2013.12.39_zpsm881mtwj.jpg
2017-08-24%2001.39.47_zpspsnf1pll.jpg
2017-08-24%2000.25.17_zpsbflwxn8j.jpg
That isn't light bleed btw. This screen is amazing and to get a monitor without dead pixels and light bleeding delivered the first time gives a good feeling.

The colors are fantastic in the flesh for a tn panel after some tweaking. G-sync is great and is working in games like the division that didn't work in freesync. Got more testing to do. :)

Back
Top Bottom