• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Monitor and GPU upgrade time?

Man of Honour
Fancying a new monitor, possibly an LG C3 42”? I then figure my 1080Ti won’t cut it, would a 7900XT be a reasonable upgrade? Prices don’t seem too crazy. It may get me gaming a bit more again, certainly for those games more suited for a KB&Mouse. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I game on an LG C2 42" using a 6900 XT and it's a great experience. The size of the 42" is perfect for a large monitor desktop setup and the colours/black levels of the OLED panel are fantastic. A 7900 XT will do just fine at 4K, though if you absolutely must get as close as possible to the 120 Hz refresh rate in AAA games it might be worth spending the extra on a 7900 XTX.

The only games I've noticed my 6900 XT struggling in are Unreal Engine 5 titles like Robocop. Everything else runs great at high-ultra settings and I haven't noticed the performance hit coming from a 1440 ultrawide anything like as much as I expected to.

Last edited:
I game on an LG C2 42" using a 6900 XT and it's a great experience. The size of the 42" is perfect for a 'large monitor' desktop setup and the colours/black levels of the OLED panel are fantastic. A 7900 XT will do just fine at 4K, though if you absolutely must get as close as possible to the 120 Hz refresh rate in AAA games it might be worth spending the extra on a 7900 XTX.

Thanks. How close do you sit to the screen? Just worried I sit a bit close.

Not too worried about hitting 120hz tbh.

Thanks. How close do you sit to the screen? Just worried I sit a bit close.

Not too worried about hitting 120hz tbh.

From my head to the screen, 70cm. I have space to push it back another 15-20cm comfortably on an 80cm deep desk.

At that distance it fills my field of vision nicely without being overwhelming. I can see the whole screen in my peripheral vision and can look at the edges and corners by just moving my eyes without experiencing any fatigue. I don't play any competitive games on it like Counter Strike at a high level or anything but played some Modern Warfare 2 when that came out and I don't feel like having a large monitor hindered me there. It's about the same pixel density as 1440p at 27" so everything is nice and sharp but isn't unusably small for web browsing, watching films/YouTube, etc.

The 7900 XT will be a great pairing then. I edited my post above to mention I've had no issues with performance in anything apart from UE5 games. Having FreeSync and the near zero response times of the OLED helps but I think games feel smoother on this than they did on my previous IPS monitor even if the FPS number is a bit lower.

So I’ve ended up ordering the LG C3 42” and a 7900 XTX. I may well wall mount it, but I’ll try the stand it comes with first.

Looking forward to getting back into PC gaming after some time out of the loop.

I also have a 55” S95B that faces my console gaming chair, so it’ll be interesting to compare. I’ll likely end up with my PS5 for exclusives, skipping out the next Xbox and using my PC instead.

Already tempted to buy Cyberpunk and BG3 again, but for PC.

Which XTX @CaptainRAVE ? Nitro?

BG3 is def on my list at some point, looks dope :cool:

Nothing too crazy, just the MSI trio that was in an offer and ships quickly. Hopefully a decent upgrade over my 1080Ti. Not too interested in overclocking anymore and it sounds like it at least runs pretty quiet.

BG3 is one of the games making me miss PC gaming, it’s just not the same on a controller tbh. Inventory management is a pain.

Last edited:
A common issue?
More like just seeing if everything is a-ok really with the cooling solution (after 110c the card starts to throttle, which isn't a problem now but you have to think about Summer gaming etc).

Trio looks a little lightweight compared to some but it might be efficient at what it does (like the Pulse).

Last edited:
So I’ve ended up ordering the LG C3 42” and a 7900 XTX. I may well wall mount it, but I’ll try the stand it comes with first.

Looking forward to getting back into PC gaming after some time out of the loop.

I also have a 55” S95B that faces my console gaming chair, so it’ll be interesting to compare. I’ll likely end up with my PS5 for exclusives, skipping out the next Xbox and using my PC instead.

Already tempted to buy Cyberpunk and BG3 again, but for PC.

That's a great combo. The stand for the C3 is the same as the C2 and isn't very deep at the back. You should be able to push it right up to the wall without needing to use a wall mount.

There's no better way to game than on PC using a big OLED screen in my opinion.

All of the Xbox stuff comes to PC anyway and is often on Game Pass if you use that. So does most of the PlayStation stuff if you're happy to wait 6-12 months.

Enjoy. A 42" OLED with a 7900 XTX is peak gaming!

A common issue?

More like just seeing if everything is a-ok really with the cooling solution (after 110c the card starts to throttle, which isn't a problem now but you have to think about Summer gaming etc).

Trio looks a little lightweight compared to some but it might be efficient at what it does (like the Pulse).

I've only heard of problems with the Asrock and Powercolor Red Devil cards.

For what it's worth my mate has an MSI Trio 4080 and it's not given him any issues.

That's a great combo. The stand for the C3 is the same as the C2 and isn't very deep at the back. You should be able to push it right up to the wall without needing to use a wall mount.

There's no better way to game than on PC using a big OLED screen in my opinion.

All of the Xbox stuff comes to PC anyway and is often on Game Pass if you use that. So does most of the PlayStation stuff if you're happy to wait 6-12 months.

Enjoy. A 42" OLED with a 7900 XTX is peak gaming!

Thanks and for feedback on the stand. It looks like a wall mount would only save a couple of cm over the stand.

A lot closer than I currently have :p

Other than my console gaming with the S95B and my heated rocker chair :)

C3 going to the left facing the other direction where the chair is. Unfortunately I can see myself re buying BG3 on PC. Especially since it has cross saves.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. The C3 is glorious, very happy. Not quite got to grips with desktop use, but then I bought it for gaming. Nearly fell off my chair as I tried the Universim and it zoomed into a planet.

Small technical issue resulting (I think) from my weak PSU, so 1000w PSU arriving tomorrow that will hopefully fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom