Monitor arms that can actually handle a 49" screen

Associate
I have a monitor arm atm that can barely handle my sammy 49 is there any reputable brand that can sell a arm that can hold one of these ultrawides?

Associate
The ergotron HX arm with the HD pivot specially for these screens works well so I am told, but it isnt cheap.

Last edited:
Associate
This may not work for you but when I finally upgrade the size of my ultrawide I'll probably make a vesa adaptor plate that will allow me to use 2 cheaper arms instead of 1 much more expensive arm. The movement I require for my use case will work fine with 2 arms.

Soldato
Ergotron HX are the daddy. Got a 48" OLED on one - my top tip is look for used ones on the Rainforest, got mine for about £170. At £300 or whatever they are I think they are overpriced.

Last edited:
Soldato
The ergotron HX arm with the HD pivot specially for these screens works well so I am told, but it isnt cheap.

my issue is they say "heavy duty" then the crumble to dust if you look at em funny

I'm also looking for a decent monitor arm but I'm not paying £300 for one of those Ergotrons, That's just taking the piddle.
Taking the piddle, or it's just expensive to make an arm that can actually extend and still hold 20kg on the end of it...

I splashed out, no regrets. Works great.

Associate
Still cant justify spending £250 for the Ergotron. So I took a gamble on a decent rated one on the rainforest for under half the price.
Only rated for 18kg which is 2kg more than I need. One of the reviews showed photos of it holding up a 55" 20kg TV so hoping build quality is consistent.

Associate
I can second what others have said - all my Ergotron arms have been awesome and have lasted many years so far.
Try and source one from the bay if you can.

Soldato
Still cant justify spending £250 for the Ergotron. So I took a gamble on a decent rated one on the rainforest for under half the price.
Only rated for 18kg which is 2kg more than I need. One of the reviews showed photos of it holding up a 55" 20kg TV so hoping build quality is consistent.

It's a personal thing, I know, but I never liked Ergotron anyway.

I tended to find with a big monitor that the monitor bounced up and down as I typed, lol. But when I thought about it, I didn't really want a stand with a moveable monitor mount.

In the end, I went for a cheap rigid stand like this sort of thing from overclockers.... (not actually that one but you get the idea).

Last edited:
Associate
I tended to find with a big monitor that the monitor bounced up and down as I typed, lol. But when I thought about it, I didn't really want a stand with a moveable monitor mount.

i never thought about if it would bounce haha. My cheapo arm is arriving tomorrow so will see how it does.

I'm intending to use it with a motorised standing desk, sitting at desk or sitting further back on the armchair for gaming so I think having a monitor arm would be a nice improvement over the fixed legs or the glass tv base that I'm currently using.

Associate
I also have the Ergotron HX with HD pivot for the Odyssey 49”. Excellent piece of kit but as said pricey. Though I’ve since sold my 49” since.

Associate
Rainforest prime failed me, cheapo monitor arm didn't arrive today so using the standard one for now. New monitor is super nice. Really liking the faster 120hz and the deep OLED blacks with no backlight bleed :)

Associate
The arm arrived, was probably the most difficult thing I've ever done for a PC setup lifting 16kg monster onto a swinging arm while working blind trying to slot it in place. Eventually gave up and moved the table forward and held the monitor arm in place with my armpit and slotted in the monitor mount. After some tensioning and tightening, the monitor does move and stay in place quite nicely! no wobble when typing on the keyboard.
Still a bit anxious how long the monitor arm will last before the monitor comes crashing down onto the desk so going to try leave it in the down position as often as possible.

Soldato
I use an older Ergotron LX triple lift stand, it's running 3 x 22" Glass fronted monitors that are 7.9KG each, the stand is rated at 21kg total so i'm over a little, however it's holding. Worth looking for one of these old Ergotron stands on the bay.

Back
Top Bottom