Monitor choice considering photography

Caporegime
I'm in the market for a new monitor

Mines breaking (half panel goes green often ) and new desk needs a new monitor

Ill be coming from a u2711 (great monitor)

I'm looking at a uw panel (34in, 3440*1440)

I'm looking at
AW3418DW (slight skew to games)
U3419w (skew to photography)

I'm trading refresh rate for colour accuracy I believe

I'm no pro, but I don't really know how much I'll lose going for the AW?
I'm also not a pro gamer.

Anyone use a similar panel for productivity?

Associate
I have the LG UltraWide 34UM88C - its a couple of years old now so likely been refreshed a few times, but with a decent calibrator I've got excellent results from it. Heavy Lightroom Classic and Capture One use for large prints.

Soldato
I got the Viewsonic VP3481 - its great for the money and designed with colour accuracy in mind. I think I paid about £550 for it from here a few months ago. Is 3440X1440 and 100hz and 300 nits 'HDR'

Soldato
I've got the U3415W. Would highly recommend. Came with a calibration report. Also do some light 60hz gaming.

One thing I liked about it was even with the stand its quite slim. Some of the ultrawide come with huge stands.

And

And

Associate
About six months ago I went the other way from UW 3440x1440 (LG 34UM95) to 27" 4k (Benq SW271).

And

And

Associate
@Spleen Sauce

Menus can be small in some apps, Camera Raw especially, but I've got used to it. Nice to work on - in sRGB images look great with fantastic detail. It was expensive and I need to pick up a calibration device.

The wife's a graphic designer and has the newest 5K iMac (it is a lovely display and OSX plays ball with scaling much better than Win10) which AFAIK is the same 27" LG in terms of colour spec.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can’t advise on with panel to buy as I myself has been out of the loop for years. But I am sure there are plenty IPS panels nowadays can have wide garmut

I used to use TFT central for information. But probably most the notable brands like dell, viewsonic, etc are all capable of producing colour accurate panels. Brightness is a consideration if you are editing against light ie there is glare (direct or glancing)

Calibration report is nice to have but I seriously doubt that they would have done it on every one of the mass produced monitor. Maybe with the panel still on assembly line but definitely not testing when it is fully assembled and ready to be shipped. Also monitor should be calibrated regularly if you are doing colour critical work

last thing that is quite important is a panel that supports 10bit colour natively and a gfx that can do it also. Obviously the latter is limited to quadro cards. No one likes to edit photo and seeing those damn banding!

Back
Top Bottom