Monitor for Xbox and gaming pc

Associate
So my tv for my Xbox has just broken and (fortunately kind of) I’m looking to buy a gaming system at the same time. So I’m weighing up a few monitors and looking between freesync and gsync too. I’m so unsure on lost on the pc build but I’m happy to start with the monitor and build around that. For example I know Xbox only supports freesync and it’ll be my only monitor (for Xbox including Netflix etc and for all gaming on both platforms) would I be selling myself short by going for a freesync monitor, is something like an acer predator 27” ips at 1440p best?

Associate
I wouldn't say you're selling yourself short but it all depends on YOUR circumstances.
If you wish to game on the monitor with the Xbox and PC then make sure you have both HDMI and DP connections - DP does not transmit audio
Never knew Xbox supports Freesync ? Have you got the X or S models ?
I'd browse around for the best deal - Monitor prices have gone up due to G-Sync and Freesync

Associate
OP
I wouldn't say you're selling yourself short but it all depends on YOUR circumstances.
If you wish to game on the monitor with the Xbox and PC then make sure you have both HDMI and DP connections - DP does not transmit audio
I'd browse around for the best deal - Monitor prices have gone up due to G-Sync and Freesync

Massively appreciate the help I’m pretty lost haha. So the acer is ruled out completely it doesn’t even have hdmi slots. The next alternative that I can come out with myself is the Rog Swift Pg278Qr. I actually don’t have either atm, I have a normal Xbox but if I’m gonna be buying this expensive monitor I’ll also buy an Xbox x I think.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
And one more thing - this monitor is going to be for Xbox (I’ll buy an Xbox x or keep the old one entirely depending on which monitor I go for), pc (work/games) and watching Netflix etc as well. But I do have a small desk and I watch from fairly close.

Associate
I have considered 4K screens too to benefit the Xbox x
No worries mate
Personally if it was me, I wouldn't bother spending the cash on a 4K monitor for a console... period. Xbox one x upscales the resolution so it's not really true 4K.
If you have money to burn, I would invest it wisely into a wholesome spec refresh and pair it with a nice 1440p monitor - since higher resolutions seems to be your aim that's what I would advise. I don't think 4K is quite "there" just yet and it requires deep pockets to get a decent setup. Others may say different but I know I'm not the only one with this opinion.

What kind of PC have you got at the moment ? Would you consider a refresh or do you see yourself playing the console more ?
My opinion on the One X or One S : If you have an Xbox One now, don't bother upgrading until the next generation, I don't think it is worth at the moment - Higher HDD and "4k that's actually 2K" in my eyes doesn't warrant the £400+ price tag

Associate
OP
No worries mate
Personally if it was me, I wouldn't bother spending the cash on a 4K monitor for a console... period. Xbox one x upscales the resolution so it's not really true 4K.
If you have money to burn, I would invest it wisely into a wholesome spec refresh and pair it with a nice 1440p monitor - since higher resolutions seems to be your aim that's what I would advise. I don't think 4K is quite "there" just yet and it requires deep pockets to get a decent setup. Others may say different but I know I'm not the only one with this opinion.

What kind of PC have you got at the moment ? Would you consider a refresh or do you see yourself playing the console more ?
My opinion on the One X or One S : If you have an Xbox One now, don't bother upgrading until the next generation, I don't think it is worth at the moment - Higher HDD and "4k that's actually 2K" in my eyes doesn't warrant the £400+ price tag

I’m with you on the 4K screen but I didn’t realise that to be honest (not true 4K) However it just wouldn’t work as a one screen setup because I would t pc game at that res. The Rog Swift Pg278Qr is at the top end of my budget so I guess £500 is the absolute top, however I definitely wouldn’t see any reason to spend more.

Associate
OP
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £391.69 (includes shipping: £11.70)

I'd use the amount saved on the ROG for a GPU upgrade :)
AOC are great, I have one myself 24" for 1080p gaming
HDMI, DP, 165Hz and a lower price tag. What more do you want :)
That is remarkably cheap! However I’ve heard that 24 is a bit small for 1440 and that ips is a big step from tn. How would you say you think of those things personally?

Associate
That is remarkably cheap! However I’ve heard that 24 is a bit small for 1440 and that ips is a big step from tn. How would you say you think of those things personally?
Oops sorry thought it was 27”
IPS is meant to be better for viewing pleasure yes however for gaming not so much. IPS screens usually have larger delay in refreshing the frames so what you on screen may not be exactly what’s happening client-side. If you’re a competitive gamer, shooters etc. I’d recommend LED not IPS.

Associate
OP
That could be a very good option actually. Would the TN pose any problems for prolonged viewing or for example the film/Netflix side of things though?

Associate
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...n-led-slim-bezel-monitor-black-mo-099-as.html

So what are your thoughts here? In comparison to the one you mentioned, this would add 60-70 quid I think.

I’ve also just seen this?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...ing-widescreen-led-monitor-bla-bg-854-as.html
Well it is an Asus ROG - You're paying for a premium product. If you have the money and are willing to spend on it, then go for it.

Looks like the B Grade isn't available anymore fella - didn't know what he price was but must have been a steal if it was available yesterday.

Associate
dp does transmit audio . Plus he could get a dp to hdmi adaptor to transmit hdmi audio

Associate
Trust me it doesn't - I've toyed with the idea myself and it is just an unnecessary expense which as I've found for myself doesn't seem to work.
a quick google search shows you are wrong

Yes, DisplayPort supports multi-channel audio and many advanced audio features. DisplayPort to HDMI adapters also include the ability to support HDMI audio.

Associate
OP
Well it is an Asus ROG - You're paying for a premium product. If you have the money and are willing to spend on it, then go for it.

Looks like the B Grade isn't available anymore fella - didn't know what he price was but must have been a steal if it was available yesterday.

So the B grade isn’t available because I snapped it up yesterday, I saw it was the IPS panel (normally 750ish) for £500 so I took the risk. It’s the PG279Q, I’m hoping that’s gonna be a good purchase.

Just need to start building the rest of the pc around it now!

Back
Top Bottom