• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Monitor losing signal in game

Associate
I'm having this issue where my monitor loses signal in game when under specific load and you can still hear the game in the background and speak to people in chat. It also does it when I run timespy when test 2 starts.

I am running an rtx 3080ti in a lian li q58 with pcie 4.9 riser 13600kf, 32gb ddr5 7000 coolermaster 850w sff psu. I have tried swapping display port cables and that has not helped

Last edited:
Associate
I'm having this issue where my monitor loses signal in game when under specific load and you can still hear the game in the background and speak to people in chat. It also does it when I run timespy when test 2 starts.

I am running an rtx 3080ti in a lian li q58 with pcie 4.9 riser 13600kf, 32gb ddr5 7000 coolermaster 850w sff psu. I have tried swapping display port cables and that has not helped
Had this once on my 1080Ti. Turned out to be a bug in Nvidia drivers. Had to revert to an older driver until they finally fixed it (which wasn't that speedy from memory).

Associate
OP
Had this once on my 1080Ti. Turned out to be a bug in Nvidia drivers. Had to revert to an older driver until they finally fixed it (which wasn't that speedy from memory).
I've used ddu and tried the latest driver again, I will try an older driver tomorrow.

It started last week so I stripped the system put it all back together and it was working fine and then then it started doing it again

Soldato
I had this issue on my AOC monitor. It was some sort of fault/issue with the variable refresh rate. When I disabled this on the monitor and in driver settings it stopped. Might be worth trying?

Obviously moving off of variable refresh is rubbish, but it beat buying a new monitor for me.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I had this issue on my AOC monitor. It was some sort of fault/issue with the variable refresh rate. When I disabled this on the monitor and in driver settings it stopped. Might be worth trying?

Obviously moving off of variable refresh is rubbish, but it beat buying a new monitor for me.
Already tried it with and without gsync enabled

Associate
OP
Have you tried a different port on the card and on the monitor.
Yep tried all the display ports and the hdmi still no change.

I'm also getting an error in event log with dwm.exe and pci root

What's strange is it was fine then started to happen then I stripped the system put it back together it worked fine and now it has started again

Last edited:
Associate
I’d make sure the graphics card is pushed in as far as it can into the pcie slot. It might be worth changing the slot. I would also see if you can connect the monitor to another device like a laptop to see if it does the same thing.

Associate
Yep tried all the display ports and the hdmi still no change.

I'm also getting an error in event log with dwm.exe and pci root

What's strange is it was fine then started to happen then I stripped the system put it back together it worked fine and now it has started again

On the back of what @eeii just mentioned regarding it potentially not staying properly seated - Does the motherboard rear IO shield align properly with the cut out in the case?
I mention this as I saw in a thread in the case section recently that someone received a Lian Li 011 XL on which the included stand offs were not the right height, at least for their motherboard.

Associate
OP
On the back of what @eeii just mentioned regarding it potentially not staying properly seated - Does the motherboard rear IO shield align properly with the cut out in the case?
I mention this as I saw in a thread in the case section recently that someone received a Lian Li 011 XL on which the included stand offs were not the right height, at least for their motherboard.
I'm using an itx board with a pcie 4.0 riser cable in the lian li q58 sfx case, the gpu seems fully seated in the slot

Associate
I'm using an itx board with a pcie 4.0 riser cable in the lian li q58 sfx case, the gpu seems fully seated in the slot
Ah sorry, I overlooked the riser part of your OP, that'd negate the motherboard alignment! I assume the riser is also well seated.
Afraid I don't have any other suggestions

Associate
OP
I tried that before set up the whole system outside the case and it worked, I tried outside the case with the riser cable and it worked so put it all back together and it worked and then suddenly didn't

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I tried that before set up the whole system outside the case and it worked, I tried outside the case with the riser cable and it worked so put it all back together and it worked and then suddenly didn't

Fair enough but I’d try it again without the riser if you’re able to as I’ve heard that risers can be a bit flakey. At least you’ll know for sure that way too.

Associate
I had this issue and tried all kinds of fixes from frame rate limiting, rolling back drivers, custom resolutions, editing the freesync range with CRU, various types of cables, different inputs, limiting the clocks of my GPU etc..

The problem was so intermittent that I couldn't reliably replicate it and I'd try a "fix" and then go for a few days without issue then suddenly be hit with it three times in a session.

It turned out to be the monitor.

Back
Top Bottom