Monitor madness - recommend a panel please!

Associate
Hi guys and gals,

I've got a little time off work next week, so its an ideal time to rush a new toy order through as I'll be in to receive the goods when they get delivered. So I thought, first up, I could do with a monitor to go on my old PC as I've recently moved my current dual screen setup (21" Sony CRT + 17" Hitachi TFT) to a shiny new computer.

Now I'd like to use the old machine (a AMD 3500+) as a Linux box, mainly for tv/movie watching, and a bit of photo editing. Its got a ATI 800XL card in it, so should have enough poke to run a monitor at a reasonable resolution. As I havn't got a great deal of realestate left on my desk, its going to have to be a TFT panel as opposed to a CRT (but then thats a pretty easy decision these days anyway). I'm not too bothered it its widescreen or not, a widescreen format has its positives and negatives (good for wide screen movies, bad for taking more horizontal space on the desk up without making use of available vertical height).

Now having read through a large number of reviews and threads, I'm just as confused of which to buy, and I hope you could offer some assistence here.

I'd like to buy at least a 19" panel capable of more than 1280x1024, which I find is a little low for photo work (I run both displays on my main PC at this resolution at the moment), given the ever increasing photo resolutions that cameras are pumping out these days. Also, I have not got a strict budget, in that if I feel its worth the extra I'll pay the extra. I'm currently sat on the fence in my mind between the £150 no thrills 19" range and the £300 20+" range, I didn't want to pay too much more than £300 as this is after all not my main PC.

I see LOTS of peopel highly recommending the Dells. Is it just me who has a problem with having a Dell branded product sat on my desktop? Are they really that much greater than other brands? I feel it would be a bit like buying a BMW, a premium product at a premium price, but do I want to be a BMW at the end of the day ;)

Anyway I'd be very greatful for a few recommendations, thanks very much in advance.

Soldato
I dont think £311 is a premium price for a 20" Dell, personally for me I think that the '07 range of dell monitors look far better than any other monitor that I have seen. There are lots of cheaper 20" TFT's but they dont offer all the extra inputs (some don't even have DVI), and dont have a height adjustable stand!

I think you would probabilly be using it as your primary monitor after a while though ;) I have two Dell 20" WS's and they are fab. Oh and I have a dell keyboard too, I'm not a fanboy - honest!

Back
Top Bottom