monitor problem - help with new 20" TFT decision

Associate
I seem to have acquired a recent monitor problem. It started off doing this every now and then, but now it's more often. My screen is flickering and green in colour! It seems like it is on its way out, but I just wanted to confirm this in the forum? My monitor is a Daewoo 17" CRT if that helps.

Anyway, I was anticipating buying a TFT so this problem will bring this purchase forward. The trouble is, I can't decide which to get. They have a nice range on overclockers, here is my list from the 20"+ section. My budget is max £400. My use is pretty general really: games, DVDs, photoshop/illustrator type work. Any help most appreciated:

Asus PW201 20.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black/Silver (MO-001-AS)
£381.86

Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey (MO-011-DE)
£317.24

NEC MultiSync® LCD20WGX2 20.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black/Silver (MO-009-NE)
£370.11

Samsung SM-215TW 21" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Silver/Black (MO-044-SA)
£370.11

Viewsonic VP2030b 20.1" LCD Monitor - Black/Silver (MO-059-VS)
£399.49

Cheers,
Bornslippy

Last edited:
Associate
I got the Viewsonic recently and I love it! Just oozes quality!

Many will tell you to go for a widescreen monitor, I guess if you're going to use the monitor for watching loads of DVDs, then it's probably worth getting a widescreen instead, but this monitor really is very very nice.

Also, Viewsonic's zero dead/lazy pixel policy on all their professional series monitors adds to peace of mind.

Man of Honour
tough call. You might want to have a look at this article which highlights some of the difference between the models you have selected and the varying technologies used. They are all good models but the P-MVA models probably offer the best all round performance and at a very decent price. Take a look at the article and see if it helps narrow it down a bit more....

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I've probably narrowed it down to the NEC or the Viewsonic, although I see that the Belinea is considerable cheaper and supposed to be a good screen? Anyone know the difference between the 35W and the 30W, and any opinions on this screen?

Man of Honour
simply that the 35W has a DVI connection and the 30W doesn't. Apart from that they are the same. Take a look in the sticky too as there's a mass of info on each screen along with plenty of user and review comments :)

Associate
I picked up the Viewsonic VX2025WM today for £277 !!
Just set it up and it is excellent.....Colours look really vibrant and rich out of the box....will tweak later :)
No dead pixels.
Replaced my longstanding Sony Professional series 19" CRT.

Associate
OP
Nice one! It makes me wonder whether it's worth spending an extra £100 on the NEC though?

Bito said:
I picked up the Viewsonic VX2025WM today for £277 !!
Just set it up and it is excellent.....Colours look really vibrant and rich out of the box....will tweak later :)
No dead pixels.
Replaced my longstanding Sony Professional series 19" CRT.

Back
Top Bottom