Monitor Recommendations - Work / Gaming

Associate
Hi all,

Looking for a 4K monitor for working at home (spreadsheets, word, teams etc) and gaming.

Currently have 2 27" 1080p monitors which are getting on for 3-4 years old now. I was looking at some of the 43" monitors but I'm a little lost with regards to size or even sticking with 2 smaller monitors, have read into OLED being fantastic but not the best for working from home due to burn in etc.

Budget around £700-£1000 not entirely sure

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
For work I find 2 monitors better than 1 because you can manage individual windows much more quickly. If you have one big monitor it's more of a faff positioning windows.

I'm not a gamer, but I guess having a big monitor for gaming would be nice. I have a 32" monitor and that is plenty big enough for a "big screen" experience when sitting at a desk.

Depends what your priorities are.

Soldato
I had 2 monitors but didn't really see any benefit so now I use my Alienware AW3423DWF for both. Install the Dell Display Manager and you can set up easy arrange to have up to 7+ windows open across the monitor. It works really well.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you both,

I'm had some time to think and watched a few videos on some of the larger 43" monitors and realised the bigger you go the less PPI affecting text clarity. This video I watch was for the Gigabyte FV43U which has a VA panel. I'm not sure about other panels like IPS or OLED etc.

I'm going to look into 32" monitors, any recommendations?

Soldato
I've got a 32" Iiyama ProLite XB3288UHSU, which is a VA panel. The image is quality is good, but I have to turn the brightness of the monitor right down to its lowest setting, otherwise it is too bright for me. I'm not sure if I would have the same issue with all VA panels. I did also have some problems with the monitor recognising the power modes of my laptop.

Brand wise, I would be looking at LG, Dell, Alienware (owned by Dell) and Asus.

Soldato
The new gen3 qd oled panels should be fine for office work and gaming. Obviously hard to know how the burn in will turn out in the long run but there are methods to reduce the likelihood and some manufacturers are providing a 3 year burn in warranty.

Associate
OP
The MSI one is soon to be released and should be within your budget. The Dell equivalent is £1200 but the msi is $250 cheaper in the states, fingers crossed that brings it in under 1k here.
Do you have likes to both please?

Found them. Be good to see if manufacturers release either a 16.9 38" or even the larger 43 or 48".
Quite like the screen realestate of larger 4k screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have likes to both please?

Found them. Be good to see if manufacturers release either a 16.9 38" or even the larger 43 or 48".
Quite like the screen realestate of larger 4k screen.
An UW 39 or 42 inch with the same DPI of these 4k 32 inch screens would be the dream for me. Looks like we're atleast a year from getting that though.

Associate
Then you already have the answer - LG C2/C3 42 and there is no reason to look further.
Only issue is USB C and lack of DP, but it makes no difference vs HDMI

Last edited:
Associate
I'm itching to get a PD3220U|32-inch 4K UHD P3 Thunderbolt 3 Designer Monitor.
Only 60hz so might not work as a gaming device but looks like a lovely monitor to work with, especially if you use a Mac.

Associate
I'm itching to get a PD3220U|32-inch 4K UHD P3 Thunderbolt 3 Designer Monitor.
Only 60hz so might not work as a gaming device but looks like a lovely monitor to work with, especially if you use a Mac.
It has horrible contrast and its hdr exist only in Benq marketing department.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom