Monitor repair replace capacitors?

Soldato
Short is always easy to check by measuring resistance.
(just don't use insulation resistance meter)
But instead of "Let me try to carry that. I can do this... I can do this... Nope, that's too much weight to carry the needed distance", shorted capacitor would likely cause sharp instant cut off.
And in power circuitry high current would likely cause signs to capacitor, because before complete short there would be likely increase of current and heating.

To put it simply, resistance is at DC, impedance is AC.
Resistance works just as well at AC as DC, which is the problem.

In ideal capacitor its impedance (total AC resistance) would depend only on (capacitive) reactance dependant on capacitance and frequency and would drop with frequency.
Instead in non-theoretical capacitor ESR literally limits how low impedance can go making it plateau.
(until some inherent inductance in real world capacitor starts increasing impedance)

Also ESR corresponds linearly to actual power loss into heat in capacitor.
Hence high ESR capacitor not only filters ripple less effectively, but also heats up more easily shortening its life span.
(reactance doesn't consume power)

Associate
@Cyber-Mav are you just after a 5:4 ratio screen? If so I have a Dell E197fp (I think that's what it is!) kicking about, would be happy to list it for you in the mm for p&p, I'll just have to check it works first

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I got a replacement screen from my cousin. He had a 19 incher siemens lying around. It was a modernish one what had thinner bezels than all the other screens i used leaving a lot of space in the cab so now makes me wonder if there are screens larger than 19 inch that are square and not wide.

@TrojanWhore would be good to keep a spare about these days.

Back
Top Bottom